Merion is to tricked up

Merion is to tricked up

• 4814 points

I prefer to see birdie barrage. Ridiculous to watch the best players in the world hacking out of rough.

I think the rough is to penal.

The cut line is about +9. Leaders are 1 under.

•  

It's interesting how everyone looks at it differently.

I think the rough is brutal but that is nothing new for the US Open ... but this week there doesn't even seem to be a first cut of rough on some holes. I'm sure most of them are done mentally by how tough the course is set up especially when they get the rough so deep around the greens and then get them as slick as possible to putt on as that just means they have to hit just about every chip, bunker shot and putt perfectly to have a great score.

Personally I don't mind it being tough at the majors but sometimes it just is too tough !!! Just imagine how tough it would be playing if it hadn't been so wet and the greens were hard and fast.

•  

This is the US Open. The desired score by the USGA is Par or worse. Looking at the scores, this isn't as bad as it's going to get. There is nothing "tricked" at all. Too much rain leaves the mowers unable to get out. 7 grasses make the rough penal.

This is a great example of how a relatively "short" course can be set up to test the PGA touring professional of toady. Hit it 340 yards? Sure, but you better leave it in the fairway. Or you'll make a bogey.

Birdies will come to those who hit great shots. But those will be rare, and I love it! You want to win this Open? Then you have to grind it out.

•  

MarkWDallasTx

I prefer to see birdie barrage. Ridiculous to watch the best players in the world hacking out of rough.

I think the rough is to penal.

The cut line is about +9. Leaders are 1 under.

It's unlikely you'll ever see a birdie barrage at a US Open, it's not how they roll. Their goal is to expose the best all around player that week, not just who putts the best.

•  

Mark, as has already been said this is and will always be a hard test! And they got off easy with the 5 inches of liquid sunshine, course was as gettable as it was ever going to be!     Not let the torture commence!

•  

I always thought the English language was two tricked up

•  

Let the regular every year venues have the set ups for record lows.  The US Open should be the best test of the best in the world.

TT

• 2712 points

The world"s best golfers need to be able to deal with a real challenge. No question that the layout  is probably tougher than the guys face all year,but  there is nothing wrong  with  a tournament  that makes the players put so much thought into every shot. It also makes for pretty good viewing by the rest of us.

• 347 points

I love the Merion set up, just wish they would have used graduated rough so that guys missing the fairway by a foot aren't in 6 inch rough..

• 1466 points

Love the way it's playing, goal of the USGA is to have players "fight for par" so it is playing just how they want it!

•  

Mark, I disagree.  I prefer, for one tournament a year at the U.S. Open, to see the best players in the world look like mere mortals playing golf.  I also love seeing a course that plays very short by today's standards at just under 7000 yards give the pros all they want and more.  It's proof that we DON'T have to keep lengthening everything for a course to be relevant.  I think Merion very well may bring some other "shorter" courses back in to play for the Open, at least I hope so.  

•  

Boy oh Boy is this a tough finish.

Great, great, great set up but the thick stuff is just BRUTAL.

•  

bholley

I always thought the English language was two tricked up

Me two (sic)! :-)

• 2781 points

Gzink96
    Love the way it's playing, goal of the USGA is to have players "fight for par" so it is playing just how they want it!

Couldn't agree more.

•  

I do not think it is the rough so much as the greens.  That is what really makes Merion.