Lift, Clean, & Place

Lift, Clean, & Place

•  

I'm not a fan of LC&P.  I just don't get it.  Play it as it lies or don't play at all.  

•  

Deno, the pros get it pretty easy most of the time and seems they play a hellava lot of LC&P.

Having said that ... you have to pay it sometimes and nothing worse than paying with chunks of mud on the ball because that can really cause the ball to go anywhere. IMHO.

•  

Depends on where you live. I can't play from October to May if I don't play lift, clean and place. I doubt I would ever play LC&P on the courses the pro's play though, those courses are pristine and they should just play it.

• 627 points

For Tour events I get it I suppose.  Lots of money on the line for them and for the sponsors.  Ideally I wouldn't play if it was that wet but if the option was play a tournament in the original time or shorten it or move to a Monday finish because of moisture I could see where financially it would be better to LCP.

I don't like moving the ball either, even in scrambles I drop it and don't place it.

•  

I also don't really like this rule because it has the potential to change your game significantly.  This rule gives you the best possible lie for every shot, making it far easier to make the shot you'd like to hit.  For example, it takes divots out of the picture.  No wonder the pros love playing LCP.  I run into it occasionally playing in my seniors events, especially the day after a good amount of rain has fallen.

•  

LC&P is for sissies. Tour guys are spoiled. Play with a little mud, play with some bad lies, play golf.

•  

You're right on Croc, they have it made under this rule.   We've all hit caked up balls.    Part of Golf. In a downpour or very soggy conditions I'll buy it.     I watched  the HP tournament today and Bradley hit over the green on 18 into a runoff area .  He marked hiis ball within a clubhead.  Cleaned it, and moved on. A perfectly beautiful sunny Texas day,  pristine coarse, no rain, and really not in the fairway.  

•  

Well said NC!!

•  

Stupid rule if you can do that and I have to play out of a divot in the middle of the fairway!

• 1466 points

Don't know where all of you play but I'm from New England so in the spring most of the fairways are in tough shape and lots of splotches of grass with little dirt hole in between that can be deadly so we are forced to play LC & P but don't understand the tour, golf was meant to be played without any of that! As Shooter McGavin says, PLAY IT AS IT LIES!!!

•  

I think it depends quite a bit on the course conditions, I played in some tournaments in college where the course was almost under water and LC&P was the only way we could play, the tournament would have to be canceled. That being said, I have played when it wasn't needed and made for some easy shots. For the pros I think it should only be put in place when the course is REALLY wet and the balls are picking up big mud clumps.

• 4586 points

I really think a dirty ball shouldn't be a great reason for LC&P.  I think course preservation is about the only acceptable time where it should be implemented (as mentioned there are plenty of times here in the early season where you dont want people making the divot their ball landed in even worse, or possibly killing off the grass that's starting to grow).

• 1466 points

A friend of mine played on some mini tours and even a couple of tour events and said all of the pros complain when they are hitting wedge shots witha muddy ball as they don't know how it will spin, still don't fully understand it as that is part of the game

•  

Wow, there's a group of purist!  That's awesome to hear, but I am all for lift clean and place for the main reason when the courses are not its good playing condition . . .

If the ball gets clumps of thick mud, you must not have gotten the roll you should have had, had the fairways been in a decent condition.

Ball with thick clump of mud influences more curve flight on the ball when played with it, I believe-- let alone not sure which way it'll squirt on you or how much.  A little dirt, I don't mind-- it won't hurt.

But with the clumps of mud, I'm very ok to say "Let's play Lift Cleand and Place."

•  

Play it as it lies.