Tour dress standards

Tour dress standards

•  

What is with some of the apparel at Quail Hollow?  There may need to be some dress standards on TOUR.  I'm not going to name players or their apparel providers, but some of those jackets, hats, etc. make the guys look like clowns.  The outerwear looks like it was made from table clothes at the local Stuckey's or *** Barrel.  I hope they buy some nice "off course" clothes with their huge sponsorship deals.

• 2712 points

I agree. I was really surprised that  some of the clothing sponsors would have the guys wearing some of those rags.

•  

Some of the clothing put out there by some big name companies is laughable.  Footjoy stuff is modern enough without giving up the classic look many of us prefer.

• 1466 points

Don't understand some of the new looks, a traditional guy myself. Possibly to attract some younger players to the game?

•  

It's certainly going more funky and less traditional.

• 2781 points

The sad part is people will buy anything pros have on.

•  

The players are going to wear what their brand tells them to wear. For example, one brand had all of "their" players wear the same outfits at the Masters. Many brands seem to be trying to present items that really appeal to the younger players and if you like it, it's fine, but my tastes prefer a more "classic" look. It also seems a lot of players are wearing "billboards". You can't begrudge a guy trying to make as much money as is possible, but when you consider you have to a player of merit to get the opportunity to wear the "extra" ads, do you really need the extra money?

•  

There are truly some "special" players out there wearing some awful clothing.  But we are used to the finest brands and looks, so a bunch of the new choices will always look hideous.  

Just like the time we all got together and someone had skinny jeans on.  Oh what a weekend.

TT

•  

i'm prefer a traditional look, but i'm fine with some of the new looks.  companies are trying to get younger people involved.  and that's good for all of us.  some of it i look at and like and some i look at and think it looks horrible.  but if a bright colored shirt and flat-brimmed hat brings more people to the game, than that's fine in my book.  i'm more interested in how someone behaves on the course than what they wear.

• 4180 points

It's definitely an appeal and marketing thing.  Companies want their name out there, but they realize the name isn't all there is to it.  Someone isn't going to buy a shirt from one brand if they perceive it to be something their grandparents would've worn.  So there's a line.  Golf appropriate + looking "young" enough to appeal to those they want to get into the game.

FJ does a great job of this IMO without losing the classic look and feel.

•  

Wow, my man Scott jumping in as Fashion Police Officer today. Very nice indeed sir!

This sort of remind me of what guys like Mr Hogan and Mr Sneed would say when youngsters like Nicklaus and Miller would come out wearing those loud (and ugly) plaids and huge collars. Egads! Every generation has fashions that are classical in nature and then there are the "dare to boldly different." I know what I like and that's what I choose to wear. Some of it's classic and then there are a few out there pieces, like the pink on pink shoes. But it's always tied together.

I think what's more frustrating for me Scott is that, outside of a guy like Ian Poulter or Rickie Fowler, there aren't any players willing to stamp an iconic fashion type and then brand the heck out of it. It seems every year, and with every new contract deal, guys jump around willy nilly to some new thing. Makes for an awful mix I think.....

•  

Tar Heel +1

• 4783 points

It looks like there are several companies testing "new" apparel concepts on the big stage. It might be in the companies best interest to use focus groups. I saw several players in "not on a dare" attire.

•  

Tar Heel
    Wow, my man Scott jumping in as Fashion Police Officer today. Very nice indeed sir!

This sort of remind me of what guys like Mr Hogan and Mr Sneed would say when youngsters like Nicklaus and Miller would come out wearing those loud (and ugly) plaids and huge collars. Egads! Every generation has fashions that are classical in nature and then there are the "dare to boldly different." I know what I like and that's what I choose to wear. Some of it's classic and then there are a few out there pieces, like the pink on pink shoes. But it's always tied together.

I think what's more frustrating for me Scott is that, outside of a guy like Ian Poulter or Rickie Fowler, there aren't any players willing to stamp an iconic fashion type and then brand the heck out of it. It seems every year, and with every new contract deal, guys jump around willy nilly to some new thing. Makes for an awful mix I think.....

i agree.  i have a lot more respect for Poutler and Fowler's styles than i do some of these other guys.  the own and push it.  i have no issue with either of their styles (except maybe Fowler's god-awful orange prison jump-suit look).

•  

Randy - Definitely agree with your assessment.  I'm not really talking about guys like Fowler and Poulter.  They look "put together" and have their own unique styles.  They do own it, as you say.  I'm referring to higher ranked players that are wearing clothes from  a very popular sports brand.  The designs look like things you might see on a circus clown or covering a table at a truck stop.  The outerwear that was on display looked like something that was worn by the US Olympic team in 1984.  They shouldn't pull those designs out of the history books for their golfers.