WHAT'S WITH THE GREENS AT QUAIL HOLLOW?

WHAT'S WITH THE GREENS AT QUAIL HOLLOW?

•  

Saw some highlights this morning and they looked very very ordinary!

Can Phil hang on?

•  

yes they talked a couple times about repairs to them.

Phil win win or lose by the putter this week.

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/apr/23/quail-hollow-scrambles-repair-greens/

•  

Weather stress has gotten the best of them.  Normally we should be in low 80's now, today was 55.  Been a miserable winter for the Carolinas.  2 have been resoded a week ago.  

•  

Someone explain this...bent grass is a cold weather grass, right?  So how/why would a colder than normal winter cause that much damage to bent greens?  I could sort of understand if they had a hotter than normal fall and lost the greens.  Bent greens down South notoriously have issues in the summer but I haven't heard of the winter getting to them that much.  As an aside, the rest of Quail Hollow looks awesome, but the greens look like something you'd see at a struggling muni.

• 1979 points

Im also told that the greens were PERFECT 3 weeks ago. The tour takes over all maintenance of the course 2 weeks ahed of event's. Well they over sprayed something on them that has killed them due to the un usual amount of rain and cold we have gotten the past few week's. Really stinks considering how good they were just 3 weeks ago!

• 2781 points

CROCMAN
    Saw some highlights this morning and they looked very very ordinary!

Can Phil hang on?

I feel like I have played on better greens than those!  I know something must be wrong when I can say that.

•  

Somebody must've hit the wrong button. Still, this winter's weather has wreaked havoc on superintendents in that they do certain things to the turf based upon expected weather. Quail Hollow's greens are a victim of that it seems.

•  

I've been working a ridiculous amount of time recently, so I didn't get to catch up on any of this. But I did catch the last few holes today, and you guys are right. The greens look gross. I was wondering if they were playing on a 9 hole Muni?

It's a shame to see...

•  

Very interest Dolfan.

If that's the case imagine the club will be hitting the Tour for a hefty fixit bill.

Some of the greens looked absolutely horrible and as rough as,  whilst most of them putted ok but can't imagine the sponsors or anyone else for that matter was very impressed about them apart from of course, young Ernst ... a cinderella story ...

• 544 points

Not sure how it happened, but I know they are going to convert to ultra-dwarf Bermuda greens immediately after this tournament.

•  

it would make sense that they treated them incorrectly for the weather.  i couldn't figure it out either.  they talked about how the course is going to bermuda after the tourney to better handle the heat, but the problem this year was cold and wet.  which the bent greens should handle better.  so i'm thinking there is more to it than we have heard.

• 4670 points

The greens looked crazy.  Spike marks everywhere and bumpy as can be!!  The weather definitely took a toll.  The landing *** on 9 (I believe) kept me amused.

•  

Talk to any smart golf Super and they'll tell you a course is always on the edge of disaster when the weather goes too far in an extreme. Right now the south has had too much wet and too much cool weather. Probably got the course in a position that's problematic and once you're behind the 8 Ball, well recovery takes time.

We had the same deal at my club last year in the dry heat. Ultimately cost the Super his job. We are still trying to clean up after 6 months in a couple areas.

Just goes to show you, golf courses are fragile in many ways. Why fixing pitch marks and replacing divots is important...... The Gorunds Crews do awesome work and 99% of the time things are pristine thanks to all their hard work. But from time to time.....

•  

Great analysis Tar Heel. My course has some issues weather related. Premergence did not take with the cold weather, Fungus is always an issue with too much rain. Root rot can be an issue with too much water.  Our greens were supposed to have been verticutt  2 weeks ago. Still not able to do it because of rain. This is the longest MARCH on record.

• 2180 points

We get the same thing here in the Midwest on the greens if the are not properly taken care of.. They call it snow mold, however it is basically just a fungus which kills the grass from thaw/freeze/thaw periods.. I was still surprised to see them in that bad of shape.. There is products they can apply to help against it.. Either way I wouldn't want to be the super put in charge of those decisions on a daily basis..