Switching Equipment

Switching Equipment

•  

I know that we are all fans of FJ and probably Titleist too since we are in this community.  FJ and Titleist dominate the equipment counts at amateur and pro events.  To me, the quality of the product is evident when guys come up through the ranks playing FJ/Titleist equipment and then sign big money deals with other companies.  Many times, their success goes away.  Other than Tiger (who could play with a can tied to a stick) and to some degree Phil, other guys don't have the same success.  I don't think Sergio, Ernie, Michelle Wie, and others have been as successful after making the switch in equipment.  What do you guys think?  

•  

When switching equipments most pros probably can take their old irons to the clubmakers and be like hey can you make me irons very similar to these.  For Michelle Wie she just killed it in he Sohiem Cup so that equipment switch looks really good right now.

•  

everything else being equal, equipment matters.

but everything else is not equal and that's why the switch is necessary for some. although that is never going to garauntee success.  the switch is almost mostly  about who is willing to pay the biggest buck to have a  golfer endorse their product.

equipment does not make the golfer a success, it's the other way around. it's the golfer who makes the equipment successful.

•  

I think there is alot to be said for equipment.  Take putters for example.  Sure, some guys could get other companies to make exact replica of Scotty Camerons, but pros will continually go back to what they are comfortable with rolling.  Mike Weir has tried other putters, but always goes back to his Cameron.  Sergio has done the same with his putter (although he will putt with just about anything to try to make a putt). 

•  

I guess that I am lucky. I can pretty much play with any equipment brand that we carry in the shop. I have played Titleist for the last 15 years, and even though I have tried all the other lines in the shop just to see how they compare, I still play Titleist. For me it is the equipment I play best with. I like the look and feel of it above all others.

Could I get a better deal from a rep at another company, maybe, but why if what I have is what I play best with.

I am certainly not close to the Tour players and I don't get huge checks to use or endorse equipment so a direct comparision between the "big boys" and myself is not even realistic. All I am saying is unless you are an incredible talent, play with what you play best with and you will earn more in the long run.

The player has the skill, the equipment brings it to the surface.

•  

Unfortunately, I would say it's the golfer not the equipment.  That said, I do agree Titleist/FJ makes the outstanding products and are on the top of the world, but I have seen players with clubs older than I am that shot very low scores with brands that are no longer in existance.

Technology helps, but if the swing isn't there, you aren't going to perform with any equipment.  It's funny when I see someone at my club getting new equipment for the 4th time this year because they think it will fix their golf game.  Unfortunately, they need to fix their swing before their equipment.  I think people see pros playing this and that and think it's their equipment moreso than there ability as an individual. 

•  

There have been several top players that switched equipment only to hurt their careers.  Nick Price, Tom Watson, John Daly, are a few that come to mind.  Obviously they have since restored their games, but there was a time when they struggled with their equipment when they went chasing dollars.

Tim

•  

19hole

I guess that I am lucky. I can pretty much play with any equipment brand that we carry in the shop. I have played Titleist for the last 15 years, and even though I have tried all the other lines in the shop just to see how they compare, I still play Titleist. For me it is the equipment I play best with. I like the look and feel of it above all others.

Could I get a better deal from a rep at another company, maybe, but why if what I have is what I play best with.

I am certainly not close to the Tour players and I don't get huge checks to use or endorse equipment so a direct comparision between the "big boys" and myself is not even realistic. All I am saying is unless you are an incredible talent, play with what you play best with and you will earn more in the long run.

The player has the skill, the equipment brings it to the surface.

Totally agree. i think we all have that club in the bag that we pull out and have 100% confidence it will do what we need. I also have a club in the bag that fells the complete opposite!

•  

I have played a couple of rounds with touring pros and can tell you the biggest suprise to see was that the head cover didn't always match the club.

From what one pro said, Titleist doesn't pay to have players use just the driver like some of the other companies do.

•  

Yeah, Luke Donald was a Mizuno guy, but he was playing a Titleist driver and Cameron putter for a while.  Not sure what he's using now.

• 1565 points

I am a fan of FJ and Titleist but it is more.  I remember the first time I play Titleist.  I had recieved a sleeve of balls for being in a junior event and have never switched.  I worked at a club where my pro was on the Titleist staff, I remember him always giving us sleeves of DT's and telling us this is the ball (Titleist) you will always want to play.  He soon became my mentor and high school golf coach, where he continued his practice of always having Ttitleist balls ready for us.  I remember the team all had FootJoy's of some sort, I wore my teaching shoes from being on the staff at the club.  Many of the guys parents were members so they always got the best.  My senior year my coach came to me with a pair of classics, all white and all mine.  Twenty one years later I still wear them today.  I went on to be an assistant at a club where I tried desperately to get on the Titleist staff, but with the popularity of the company and new to the industy did not get excepted.  I knew with time and proving myself as a pro and a player I would get there.  I left the industry after several years and although I played Wilson clubs those years I never left Titleist, although moved to balata, and FJ in those years.

To make a long story short, Ha Ha, the players today, although enchanted by lucritive endorsement contracts and being courted by new companies looking for their name, are foolish to leave.  They will see over time that it is who you surround yourself with and with FJ and Titleist the name says it all, WINNER!

•  

Look closely at Tiger. For a guy that is all Nike he still has a Cameron putter, even if it does have a Ping grip. We know Nike makes putters and that they pay him a small fortune to play the equipment. But still a Scotty for the putter!

•  

I think it really comes down to preference, and what each player trusts/believes in.  With the tremendous amount of resources companies are spending on product development and R&D, equipment is, in many ways as similar as ever.  I think feel and confidence have at much to do with it as anything.  Obviously, I'm partial to Titleist/FJ myself but there are many companies making really high quality products right now.

•  

Yeah, Luke Donald was a Mizuno guy, but he was playing a Titleist driver and Cameron putter for a while.  Not sure what he's using now

I think Luke Donald is still a Mizuno guy.  I just think he uses the Titleist driver and putter because thats what works for him.

•  

Memphis, I tend to agree with you. I watched Ernie and VJ. Both have made switches and neither has made any great strides. Especially Ernie. His game really has sufferes since he made the switch to that other brand. As to VJ, I personally tried the ball he now touts and still find Titleist a better ball for me.