Sony Open - Predictions?

Sony Open - Predictions?

• 5177 points

Given his performance at Kapalua, I would think the favorite going into the Sony Open would be Dustin Johnson..Who else is looking good?

•  

DJ or Two gloves. much shorter course though and DJ big hitting not as much of an advantage.

•  

i'm thinking Tim Clark and Charles Howell III are set to play well.  historically they both always have good weeks at the Sony.

• 5177 points

Great pick Randy. I really like Tommy Gainey - great attitude - seems to focus unusually well with supreme confidence in his way of playing the game. One of the Golf Channel talking heads stated that something like 8 or 9 of the last 14 Sony Open winners had played in the Hyundai Tournament of Champions the week before. The obvious reason: tournament playing time for the 30 players who comprise the field at the Tournament of Champions that others do not have in their first event of the season. I think they said the last back to back winner of these Hawaiian events was Ernie Els back to 2003..The talking head also liked Carl Pettersen and Zach Johnson this week - Straight hitters of the ball  - Johnson has won this event, not sure if Pettersen has won here...

•  

A new year, the same old contenders or another batch of youngsters ready to stand up and be noticed???

Tipping FJ's Dufner as he seems to be there about every time he plays these days (that is of course, if he is in the field).

•  

A new year, the same old contenders or another batch of youngsters ready to stand up and be noticed???

Tipping FJ's Dufner as he seems to be there about every time he plays these days (that is of course, if he is in the field).

•  

i pick 2 gloves

•  

Russell Henley announced his presence with authority.  Tim Clark could not have played the Sunday round much better and could not catch the kid.

TT

• 5177 points

Yep - Henley dominated and Tim Clark chased hard but no one was catching this kid..I heard Johnny Miller gush a bit about Russell Henley - Something to the effect that he might be the "real deal" right out of the gate, with enough mental poise and strength to take on the established elite. He sure did strike the ball well and his pressure putting was superb...

•  

OUTIGER
    Russell Henley announced his presence with authority.  Tim Clark could not have played the Sunday round much better and could not catch the kid.

TT

i completely agree.  a lot of people could learn from watching his putting.  one look at the hole and then fire.  that was a very entertaining final round.  i couldn't turn it off.