2014 Ryder Cup Captain

2014 Ryder Cup Captain

•  

10:30 this morningTom Watson was introduced as the 2014 Ryder Cup Captain....What will he bring to the team ? How will he create a cohesive group of "Team Players "?

•  

Tom is one of the greatest players ever to grip a golf club and many of the players I'm sure look up to him. From the standpoint of a coach, he has to be able to instill in them the belief they can win, no they will win. I love Freddy, but it didn't seem like the Americans wanted to "beat" the Euros, take away any doubt that they had a chance. I would like to see a little more fire in the eyes as a team, hoping Watson can do that.

•  

This is the best news that Team USA could get! Tom Watson is one of the classiest guys in the game...EVER. He should command a great amount of respect from his Team.

•  

great choice.  he is so well liked in scotland, he might be more liked than anyone the Euros pick for their captain.  and he won't be going to "have fun."  he is looking to kick butt and he will instill that thought on the team.  and the fact that he is one of the respected elder statesmen of game that everyone on the team will look up to.  there will be no doubt who is in charge.

•  

I like Tom Watson, but I don't think respect is the problem. The boys still have to play better than the Euros. Hopefully Tom can make it happen in 2014.

•  

I think it is a great selection and is going against the typical selection process.  I think Tom will bring more experience to this team in Europe than the collective European team.  Who else better than Tom to put in this position of a USA MUST WIN situation.  With Tom having such a great into the wind ball striking swing and passion for the game, I am in complete agreement with the selection and wish Tom and the whole team to be named later the best of luck....

No cop car rides for Rors next time....Not our fault he didn't realized the timezone change...

• 4617 points

I listened to a Golf Channel interview this morning with Mark O'Meara. I'll give the guy credit for his frank honesty. he was disappointed that Tom Watson had been picked -Sounded like a defeated political candidate now forced to support his party's nominee in talking about Tom Watson. Grudging respect for Tom and his accomplishments, but little enthusiasm for his choice...His preference was a gentleman who should indeed be a Ryder Cup captain  - Larry Nelson. I got the sense that Mark O'Meara and Tom Watson are exactly swapping war stories at family barbecues. Nevertheless, the fact is that Mr. Nelson is a very smart guy with a ton of golf wisdom that could be very useful in creating a winning team. For whatever reason, he hasn't been chosen yet.

I completely agree with Boston Buzza that Tom Watson is the quintessential competitor  - 34 or so wins and 8 majors   and a ton of those wins at British Opens - the committee wants to channel that passion and success in Great Britain into a US victory. We'll see if Tom has the touch and can build the mental toughness of the US side to match their very deep and talented ball striking. Mr. Watson has overcome many struggles throughout his life and one can only hope he can translate that experience into tangible lessons the US side will use to win

•  

Watson is a great choice. he understands what it takes. Webb called him a "quiet Lion" I bet he turns the players into lions and wins again. I doubt he picks older shakey putters over young hungry birdie machines like Bo Van Pelt.

•  

Personally I do not think the coach is the problem. It's the players.

• 4617 points

bholley
    Personally I do not think the coach is the problem. It's the players.

Are the US players too coddled?  PGA Tour success and lifestyle has spoiled the players? What about the players is the problem? The Euro team is also comprised of the top players on their tour, also richer than rich and used to a very luxurious lifestyle. So what is the difference? Is there some cultural aspect to this? or is it that the US captain's picks tend to be older, theoretically more experienced, battle-tested players?

•  

It's that the veterans on the team are old and have shakey putting nerves. DL3 didn't want to put too much work on KBradley, but if he put him out Saturday the cup was over. Not enough new blood on the team. see 2008  AK, boo, JB and k perry  all kind of journeyman  but all proud and all fighters, gotta pick a few guys like that.  

•  

i think it comes down to the fact the Euros want it more.  could you image any US players reacting to made putts like poulter?? i think the president's cup hurts the US and helps the Euros.  the ryder cup is huge for the Euros because it's their only chance.  and (i've never heard this, but could believe it) the Euros might have a chip on their shoulder knowing the US has another team event.  and for the US, knowing they have the president's cup could lessen the pressure and feeling of "having to win."  lastly, i think the Euro fans are more passionate.  

•  

tdogg21

i think it comes down to the fact the Euros want it more.  could you image any US players reacting to made putts like poulter?? i think the president's cup hurts the US and helps the Euros.  the ryder cup is huge for the Euros because it's their only chance.  and (i've never heard this, but could believe it) the Euros might have a chip on their shoulder knowing the US has another team event.  and for the US, knowing they have the president's cup could lessen the pressure and feeling of "having to win."  lastly, i think the Euro fans are more passionate.  

I agree with some and disagree with other stuff you said. Presidents cup does hurt.  Euro's who want it more, need it more. Poulter, Donald, Sergio and Westwood none have majors, so this is their major. The US caught a couple of bad breaks this year. Sned was hot and then wins 11 million bucks and kind of  loses his mojo.  Stricker should have never been on the team and Furyk should have only played the minimum matches.  The American captains don't play the hot hands enough. Dl3  miss read the singles badly , he had some easy wins and misplaced a lot of them.  for the last 10 years the teams have been led by Phil and TW  18 majors between them but almost no team passion or leadership, for Phil that has changed recently. No way ,the US fans are passionate but they need starters players with personality and they U.S. has had little of that lately. AK, Bradley, new phil, duff, ZJ, DJ, Rickie, Bubba, BVP  and Webb. these are the kids of guys who can bring home cups and keep them. 

• 2756 points

No concern with the pick.  Tom will do well...again.

I personally would like to see, however, the PGA use the Presidents Cup as a proving ground for players and coaches alike.  Use it to develop strategy, pairings, learn the ropes, etc.

rja

•  

I wonder what Gary McCord would have to say about this choice.