Forums

Poor Paddy!

•  

It was very painful to watch the 8 Padraig made on the 8th hole yesterday. I know that there are those among us that have had similar holes in tournaments.

I personally managed to make a 10 on a 460 yard par 4 in a tournament a few years ago. Went from 3 under to 3 over faster than you can believe.

•  

I hated to watch that.  Not only do I like Padraig as a player, but I also picked him for the FJ contest.  I watched my chance of winning the FJ belt go down in flames with his quintuple.  Bummer on two levels.

•  

19hole

It was very painful to watch the 8 Padraig made on the 8th hole yesterday. I know that there are those among us that have had similar holes in tournaments.

I personally managed to make a 10 on a 460 yard par 4 in a tournament a few years ago. Went from 3 under to 3 over faster than you can believe.

It was painful, but he is a cool guy and took it in stride.  I loved the post round interview, so optimistic.

I have managed back to back triple bogeys before during a tournament.  That will really put a damper on the round but I was able to scrap back and ended up T4 in the tournament.  Granted the next day I shot 4 under, but the 4 over round the day before didn't help.  One ball OB and I was fuming and couldn't get a hold of my emotions so it went on to the next hole.  Thank goodness it was 17 and 18 I blew up on, I don't know how the other holes would have ended up if it was earlier in the round!! 

Taught me a valuable lesson though.

•  

memphis, I know how you feel. I had Harrington in the FJ contest too! Was really looking forward to the belt.

• 331 points

I think we ALL can relate to Paddy. Last year in my Club Championship, I started the second round with 3 birdies in the first 5 holes. Came to number 6 (par 3) and made a smooth 9!!! If you have never blown up on a golf hole, you have never played golf!!!

BTW, I did win the Club Championship last year, as well as this year!!!

•  

That was tough to watch.  That is two weeks in a row where he had an absolute meltdown.  I don't know what it is, but I hope he can straighten it out quickly.

Tim

•  

tim6918

That was tough to watch.  That is two weeks in a row where he had an absolute meltdown.  I don't know what it is, but I hope he can straighten it out quickly.

Tim

I think he will get it together again.  I've heard he is going through a little swing change... not sure to what degree but we all know how that can mess with your game.

I went through a swing change last year and it took awhile to get used to... I felt like I could never hit the ball solid again.  Maybe that's what Paddy is going through...

• 4775 points

That was rather interesting that the same type of errant shot was made two weeks in a row.  He did handle it great in the interview though.  Paddy is a class act.

•  

That he is. I hope he works through the swing changes and can really put those two holes behind him.

•  

19hole

That he is. I hope he works through the swing changes and can really put those two holes behind him.

I don't see those two holes creeping into his dreams by any means.. I think that was asked in his interview and he had already forgot about the blow up hole in the final day last week and focused on the PGA. 

The issue with his flop was the unfortunate skull shot.  Paddy tried to flop it and ended up hitting the ball first with the leading edge.  Just goes to show everyone is human and makes mistakes.  It refreshing to see them do something mere mortals do and not have their "bad" shots end up 10' from the hole instead of 8'.

I wish Paddy all the best of luck.

• 1033 points

While I hate to see anyone knock themselves out of contention with a horrid display of golf such as what we saw on the 8th hole, it's also nice to know that even seasoned tour pros who have 3 majors under their belt can do what I can do.  I had a round going the other day that was decent until I took a 9 on the par-4 15th (I hit two balls OB off the tee). On the very next hole, I sank a 15-footer for eagle.  I like seeing that from time-to-time the pros can play like me and I can play like them.

•  

He just lost focus on that hole.  I think he is good enough to put that behind him and get things back together.