Forums

wedge play at East Lake

•  

I was REALLY surprised to see so many players with second shots on the Par 4s of 120-140 yards hitting wedges so far from the hole.  I know the pins weren't so accessable, but I thought innside of 15 fee from that close would be the norm from that close.   What do you think?

Deno

•  

Well Deno, the boys can really crank it off the tee and that will shorten any course.  I am amazed so many are poor wedge players.  It might be because they hit it so hard to hit a wedge 150 yards or more.  Great wedge players like Stricker  don't try and hit it that hard and really can control it.

•  

Also remember that the Greens were not really "receiptive" to holding approach shots unless the ball was generating tremendous backspin.

Really separated the Top from the rest of the field (those who could manage their wedge game).

-ICONs for ALL

•  

thomas alston iii
    Also remember that the Greens were not really "receiptive" to holding approach shots unless the ball was generating tremendous backspin.

Really separated the Top from the rest of the field (those who could manage their wedge game).

-ICONs for ALL

I found that the greens were in good shape the pins were in some tough places. I think the course was set up to play tough and it did. The players are still great with wedges but the course was not set up to show it.