Forums

HEARD A SAD THING TODAY!

•  

Pete Dye was at the course today (apparently lives there) and this years does seem to have been a bit of a Pete Dye fest, but the commentators were saying he is reluctant to go out in public much anymore because he gets hounded for autographs by golf fans.

Now not sure whether the saddest part is that he feels he's unable to get out and about at golf tournaments or whether the price of genius design has been too great ... either way it's a sad state of affairs for him.

Hope he has a few more gems in him yet.

OZ-Crocman

•  

I heard that peice too.   I think that was the 1st time I have seen him at one of his courses during a tourney.  Great designs and funny to hear that he may have one of the only course that would burn up in a fire.

•  

Really?  I find this hard to believe.

I consider myself a huge golf fan, but I wouldn't recognize Pete Dye in a police lineup, much less ask him for an autograph.  I'm just not really an autograph kind of guy.  I don't place much value on someone else's signature - unless it's on a check made out to me.

•  

This is sad to not have control over your environment and become a recluse.

Get Minds.

Get Ideas.

Get Issues.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Weird man, great courses. Karsten is the only one of his that I have played. No Oregon courses for him. 

I read the Bandon book and David kidd stopped and had a beer with the first and only people who recognized  him in the airport.

•  

I missed the piece about Pete.  He has been my home course at least 4 times this year - has always been gracious with an autograph or photos.

I'm like Memphis -  Pete does not stand-out in a crowd.   Seems to a real gentlemen every time I've had the pleasure to speak with him.

•  

interesting.  i would struggle to recognize him as well.  especially if i wasn't expecting to see him.

but that is the price of 'celebrity'.  he has designed his courses in a unique way that makes it so people associate certain courses and styles to him.  he has been well compensated for it, so i don't think of it any differently than a tour player trying to go out.

• 396 points

I want Alice's autograph. She was supposed to speak at the LPGA T&CP National Championship last month in Indiana, but couldn't make it. I was heartbroken...

•  
    It is a shame the anyone can't do what the need, celebrity or not. Social media will be the down fall of all... :)
  •  

Was shocking to see that he hasn't designed a course downunder.

Has a wonderful reputation and eye for unique golf holes but I'm the same in that I wouldn't know him if I fell over him.

Still ... very sad that he feels he would be mobbed by the golf public.

OZ-Crocman

•  

Have to agree......

tdogg21

interesting.  i would struggle to recognize him as well.  especially if i wasn't expecting to see him.

but that is the price of 'celebrity'.  he has designed his courses in a unique way that makes it so people associate certain courses and styles to him.  he has been well compensated for it, so i don't think of it any differently than a tour player trying to go out.