Forums

Fed Ex Cup Playoffs

• 538 points

There was a discussion on Morning Drive today about the number of players who should be eligible for the playoffs.  

Scott McCarron was in favor of increasing the initial field to the top 150 players,

while Gary Willliams suggested it should be more exclusive with a limit of the top 100 players.  

What is your opinion ?  

•  

Top 100 in my humble opinion. 150 just adds to the hype.

•  

100 or less makes it even more exciting (play your best to be with the best).

-ICONs for ALL

• 641 points

Here's how I would do it:

Top 128.  First round of the playoffs would be The Barclays, with the top 64 players advancing.

Round 2, the Deutsche Bank Championship.  the top 32 players advance to round 3.

Round 3, the BMW Championship.  The top 16 players advance to the final round, the Coca Cola Championship.

Round 4 would be Match Play tournament for $10M.  Thursday's round would be the top 16.  Friday's round, the Elite 8.  Saturday's round, the Final 4.  Sunday's round, the top 2 face off for the Championship, with the other 2 guys playing for 3rd place.

•  

Think it is pretty good the way it is.

Like the excitement it brings to the four tourmanents involved.

OZ-Crocman

•  

I don't think the number of players is the biggest deal, it is at what point do players have a legitimate shot at going on.  Too many tournaments back to back.  Throw in Ryder cup or Presidents cup and the players are wiped out. I doubt many Really enjoy playing 5-6 weeks in a row.

•  

NCBob

I don't think the number of players is the biggest deal, it is at what point do players have a legitimate shot at going on.  Too many tournaments back to back.  Throw in Ryder cup or Presidents cup and the players are wiped out. I doubt many Really enjoy playing 5-6 weeks in a row.

This ^

long haul this year we will see how they hold up.

FedEx is fine after they fixed the points injustice of 08 , giving it to Singh, after Villegas won the last two events.

•  

I kind of like the match play idea for the ending tournament.  But, there's probably more chances of having a bad showing/rating for TV if there are only 16 in the final event.  You want the field to be large enough so most of the stars are sure to make it.  And, match play could give you a low rating if stars don't make it to the final match.

• 599 points

I believe the top 100 provides enough places to move on.