Forums

Butch Harmon critical of Tiger, Haney

• 1192 points

Did you guys see this story? Butch Harmon unloads on Haney for writing the book and says Tiger is playing "golf swing" not "golf".

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/harmon-weighs-in-on-woods-haney-book/

•  
    I saw it and I liked it
  •  

Agreed with Butch in that Hank should have kept his pie-hole shut.. You made truckloads of cash working with TW, so be the bigger man and move on! 

•  

Harmon has never been one to be blatantly critical (openly) but, he does carry "much weight" when he speaks. Hopefully, those that should, will listen.

-ICONs for ALL

•  
    TNT009

Agreed with Butch in that Hank should have kept his pie-hole shut.. You made truckloads of cash working with TW, so be the bigger man and move on! 

I agree with you on that
  •  

Sorry, guys, but all these stuff about TW, Butch and Hank doesn't mean a bit of golf to me.  It's like a love story gone bad, very soapy-Hollywood-ish.

Here's a sound track to go with this topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9yIkWGmZ1g&feature=fvst

•  

i heard about that, but haven't read it yet.

and if you haven't read Haney's book yet, i recommend it.  it is NOT a tell-all.  honestly it makes Tiger look good.  so i'm not sure why the backlash from the book.  i would guess Butch hasn't read it.  the book makes butch look really good.

• 1539 points

Butch does make some really good points. They should start doing the Harmon project to see who the better coach is.
    • 3627 points

Interesting comments by Butch. He isn't exactly known for keeping his mouth shut though... 

•  

I think Butch hit it on the head.  He coached Tiger through the best part of his career.  Butch's words are heavier than lead IMO.  Tiger isn't what he used to be, he seems confused, he does look robotic, and Hank shouldn't have written what he did.

•  

joshgiano

I think Butch hit it on the head.  He coached Tiger through the best part of his career.  Butch's words are heavier than lead IMO.  Tiger isn't what he used to be, he seems confused, he does look robotic, and Hank shouldn't have written what he did.

I read the article and I think you said it perfectly Josh.  Tiger looks WAY to mechanical out there, like he's trying to visualize the right swing and not the right golf shot.  Also agree that Hank shouldn't have written what he did.

•  

I think they are both egotistical jerks,  every time you hear Harmon he thinks he is god.  Haney is a very self centered opportunist.  Both were good instructors but now they are celebrity instructors so everyone thinks they are great.  Tiger made both of them.  I would bet there are hundreds or even thousands of instructors working at clubs across the country that are every bit as good but they are just not celebrities, they do more for golf everyday.

• 2180 points

noeldaof

Sorry, guys, but all these stuff about TW, Butch and Hank doesn't mean a bit of golf to me.  It's like a love story gone bad, very soapy-Hollywood-ish.

See there is the problem though, this is the stuff the media feeds on. Why, you might ask? Because thats what the current fans of golf want. Although it doesn't matter whether its golf, football, baseball, rich and famous, or table tennis. The "reality tv" syndrome, or the gossip behind the scenes is what is lining the pockets of media companies. So, I don't see it going away anytime soon. Although I completely agree with you. 

Some of it is good for the game, most of it IMO is not. However, it is truly everywhere you look these days unfortunately. 

•  

I'm glad he said it...I believe he was right in his slamming of Haney and of TW's mechanical swing...

Anyone remember who else tinkered with his swing so much when he was #1 that it eventually destroyed his game.......Nick Faldo

• 3627 points

joshgiano

I think Butch hit it on the head.  He coached Tiger through the best part of his career. 

If you read Haney's book you would find that's not necessarily the case.