Forums

US OPEN

•  
    GTJacket8

Too early for me to even begin making a pick...a lot can happen between now and June.

I agree with you GT it is to early
    • 2763 points

I go with Bubba. After the way he played at The Masters his adrenalin has to be flowing and he will be confident enough to make those tough shots.

•  

Too soon to predict but let's hope for a FJ Player.....

•  

Could somebody please explain why it is too early to tell.  I guess if they were walking up 18 on Sunday it might be 50-50 chance it was too early to tell.  Come on guys and girls just take a chance and give a guess who you like.  No one is going to tell you you were wrong.

•  

i agree it's too early to tell.  i think Westwood or Luke Donald would have to be front runners right now.  but a lot can happen in 2 months.

• 3627 points

Long bombers like Bubba won't stand a chance as missing the very tight fairways at Olympic makes for a long day. 

I could see a guy like Stricker or Luke Donald doing well.

• 1539 points

I pulling for sticker. That dude deserves a major.
    • 3627 points

Jwill203
    I pulling for sticker. That dude deserves a major.

He needs to get one soon. He's getting old and his body is falling apart.

• 3852 points

I'll be a the Olympic Club for all four days of the Open.

Oh boy, can't wait!

• 1192 points

I'll say Rors or Westwood. Of course, the sentimental favorite for me every year is Phil Mickelson. Who can forget the '99 and '06 finishes?

• 627 points

This is an unfortunate way to set up a course.  Architecturally upsetting in my mind.  What point is the bunker in a sea of rough, US Open rough no less?  Target golf is not fun golf.  Create your on line and angles to the green not the guy on the mower.  At least it isn't 8000 yards to boot.

That being said, it will take an extremely accurate player able to manage the course and his game and quietly plod along making pars and avoiding big numbers.

Of the FJ Players I will go Oosty or Westwood.

• 3627 points

smashdn

This is an unfortunate way to set up a course.  Architecturally upsetting in my mind.  What point is the bunker in a sea of rough, US Open rough no less?  Target golf is not fun golf.  Create your on line and angles to the green not the guy on the mower.  At least it isn't 8000 yards to boot.

That being said, it will take an extremely accurate player able to manage the course and his game and quietly plod along making pars and avoiding big numbers.

I agree. Nothing like 20 yards of rough separating that bunker on the left and the fairway.

•  

smashdn

i agree that bunker looks a little out of place, but i like that the US Open is such a tight set-up.  i have no problem with punishing drives that aren't straight.  i like a course that makes you think of the best odds and then executing a shot.

• 627 points

tdogg21
     i like a course that makes you think of the best odds and then executing a shot.

With that tight set-up you get quite the opposite.  Your choice is hit the fairway right here or be severely punished.  The punishment in a well layed out golf course is that you have a cruddy angle to that day's hole location.  In Hole 1 above the bunker is [should be] out of play completly.  Had they mown fairway and given the hole its intended width a player electing to take on that fairway bunker would be rewarded with a better angle into right side hole locations.

Wide fairways still reward accuracy as there is a spot within the larger spot to hit the ball.  A la Augusta National.  Though still in the fairway your options can be severly limited if played to the wrong spot in the fairway.

The best players in the world playing sideways with a wedge out of the rough holds no interest for me.

But the USGA has let equipment run amuck and now must go to these excesses to "protect par."

•  

smashdn

tdogg21
     i like a course that makes you think of the best odds and then executing a shot.

With that tight set-up you get quite the opposite.  Your choice is hit the fairway right here or be severely punished.  The punishment in a well layed out golf course is that you have a cruddy angle to that day's hole location.  In Hole 1 above the bunker is [should be] out of play completly.  Had they mown fairway and given the hole its intended width a player electing to take on that fairway bunker would be rewarded with a better angle into right side hole locations.

Wide fairways still reward accuracy as there is a spot within the larger spot to hit the ball.  A la Augusta National.  Though still in the fairway your options can be severly limited if played to the wrong spot in the fairway.

The best players in the world playing sideways with a wedge out of the rough holds no interest for me.

But the USGA has let equipment run amuck and now must go to these excesses to "protect par."

i actually don't agree with that.  on that hole, you want to be on the right side or you have to carry over the greenside bunker.  so even if you hit it over that fairway bunker, you still would have a bad angle to the pin.  now you have to decide if you want to bomb it down there for a shorter iron in or 'lay' up with a long iron or 3 wood.

i agree with you that wide fairways can still demand accuracy, like Augusta.  but not many courses are designed like Augusta.

i'd rather see a player have to wedge out of the rough than everyone bombing away with no penalty for not hitting it perfect.