Forums

Hunter Mahan player of the year??

•  

i know it's very early, but Hunter is now the front runner for Player of the Year.  through 1/4 of the season, he is now the top ranked American in the WGR, leader of the Fed Ex cup points, leader on the money list, and already 2 wins.  plus one of those wins was head-to-head with Rory.  his only knock would be that he is T-25 in scoring average.  who would have thought less than two years ago that he would be in this position?

•  

He is going very well this season and after these victories he will be for sure a strong candidate.

•  

like you say, too early.  way too early to say anything concerning POY.  for all we know, TW could actually be back, win the masters and another major plus two more PGA events and leave all behind concerning POY.

that said, hunter is looking good and i wouldn't be at all surprised if he moves up in the world rankings. (way up)

•  

If he wins a major I will jump on that bandwagon

•  
    He has had a good season this year But like you said the season has just begun
  •  

Way too early in the season to be casting that out, but none the less a great year for him so far!

•  

obviously it's early.  but he already has just as many wins (2) and as many majors (0) as last year's POY, Luke Donald.  i would say he is the current leader and someone is going to have to play well this summer to pass him.  unless of course he blows up and misses a bunch of cuts this summer.

• 3627 points

Way too early to talk about the POY...especially considering they haven't played a major yet. He might be the 1Q2012 POY though? 

•  

The majors are the only thing that really matter. If Hunter doesn't take a big one he would have to win a few more tournaments to even be considered.

•  

NCBob

The majors are the only thing that really matter. If Hunter doesn't take a big one he would have to win a few more tournaments to even be considered.

for everyone talking about Majors, keep in mind, the last 3 POY winners were NOT major tournament winners that year. and Luke Donald had 2 wins last years, and Jim Furyk had 3 wins in 2010.

•  

He's definitely off to a great start and on pace to be the POY, but it is still kind of early.  If he wins a major this year, then I would say he's got the best shot to be POY.

•  

Id say for any consideration you've got to see at least two majors in the book before talking about it!

•  

tdogg21

obviously it's early.  but he already has just as many wins (2) and as many majors (0) as last year's POY, Luke Donald.  i would say he is the current leader and someone is going to have to play well this summer to pass him.  unless of course he blows up and misses a bunch of cuts this summer.

True....

Let's look at the entire picture of POY before we go giving it away since no one has played more than 10 tournaments this year, much less any majors.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I agree with everyone who said it's too early to call.  Yes Hunter has had an awesome year, but we haven't even had a Major yet.  Let's let it play out...

•  

I vote for his wife