Forums

Should Els get an exemption into the Master???

•  
    This is a tough subject, because I really like Ernie. But the rules are clear, so no exemption. Do we give an exemption to guy number 51 on the money list? No. Do we still invite Greg Norman, also a popular guy? No. You have to earn your way in, and Ernie knows this. He isn't lobbying ata ll, so there shouldn't be all this chatter to stir things up. He knows what he needs to do, and as a true gentleman, he won't be complaining if he doesn't earn it.
  •  

If the men of the masters want him in he will be in...these are all men of enough power that they can run a golf tournament without needing commercials or advertising so to decide if a guy can play in their tournament is an easy decision if they so incline to offer it up.

•  

I would hate to not see him there but the Masters can pretty much do whatever they want, so let's hope they let him in.

•  

Tar Heel
    This is a tough subject, because I really like Ernie. But the rules are clear, so no exemption. Do we give an exemption to guy number 51 on the money list? No. Do we still invite Greg Norman, also a popular guy? No. You have to earn your way in, and Ernie knows this. He isn't lobbying ata ll, so there shouldn't be all this chatter to stir things up. He knows what he needs to do, and as a true gentleman, he won't be complaining if he doesn't earn it.

but they did give Greg one when he was in a similar situation as Ernie is now.  so it wouldn't be unprecedented.  

• 1784 points

I believe evey hall of fame player should get 1 freebee into the masters. 

•  

EE needs a win in Houston to qualify simple as that....He's a classy guy and knows the ropes so let's hope for the best !

• 2180 points

I dont think he should be given an exemption. I know he is a great ambassador to the game, and a hall of fame golfer. However, he has known what he needed to do to get in, and thus far hasn't accomplished it yet. 

•  

I love Ernie and I really hope he wins this weekend in Houston to qualify.  If he doesn't qualify then he should not be given an exception.

• 3627 points

Els needs to play his way in like like everyone else! He's had 50 weeks to do so...  

•  
    In my opinion despite as much as Els has done for the game, if he cannot play his way in I think they need to pass. He has been struggling with his putter which will not lend well at Augusta, and there are some up and comers who have been playing well that deserve a shot. You never know what stage may propell a player into stardom, and I think it would be doing the tournament injustice to exempt someone based on name and past.
  •  

cwaybright
    In my opinion despite as much as Els has done for the game, if he cannot play his way in I think they need to pass. He has been struggling with his putter which will not lend well at Augusta, and there are some up and comers who have been playing well that deserve a shot. You never know what stage may propell a player into stardom, and I think it would be doing the tournament injustice to exempt someone based on name and past.

i have no issue allowing him in one time, especially since it wouldn't be taking someone else's spot.  and he has been playing better lately.  not like he can't break par and is missing tons of cuts.  combine all of that with the fact they have done it before for an 'aging' great, and i have no issue with it.

•  

cwaybright

(taking alternate view)

They exempt for unproven talent but not for proven talent???

interesting.....

-ICONs for ALL

•  

thomas alston iii

cwaybright

(taking alternate view)

They exempt for unproven talent but not for proven talent???

interesting.....

-ICONs for ALL

that's what i'm saying.....if it's only one year, why not?  not saying give him a lifetime exemption, or even multiple years.  but one year (especially with him playing much better lately) won't hurt.

•  

I'm going to agree with the group against an exemption.  He is very deserving, but has done nothing more this year that anyone else has to be in the field.  And I do not agree with the special exemption of the Japanese golfer either.  He did nothing to deserve a spot.

But the last time I checked email, the Masters committee was not asking my opinion.

TT

•  

OUTIGER

I'm going to agree with the group against an exemption.  He is very deserving, but has done nothing more this year that anyone else has to be in the field.  And I do not agree with the special exemption of the Japanese golfer either.  He did nothing to deserve a spot.

But the last time I checked email, the Masters committee was not asking my opinion.

TT

you too?  i thought it was just me.  guess they misplaced our email address.  haha.