Forums

What affect does switching equipment have....?

• 557 points

I think the biggest adjustment is with the putter. For every other club these players can get used to it very quickly.

•  

Additionally, every club in the bag has to be speced and tested to proper loft and lie to achieve the required ball characteristics. I have changed clubs (and have had to re-spec twice). The tour van was in Georgia (-HAHA).

-ICONs for ALL  

• 437 points

Players are starting to get contracts that state how many clubs of their brand they are required to play. I think Dustin's on a 13 club contract so he can play his Scotty Cameron putter. Oosthuizen looked like he had a similar setup with Ping, because he had a white 3-wood.

Other guy's have the contracts so they can play different wedges, or a hybrid they're more comfortable with.

And Tiger's Tiger, don't think if he wanted to putt with his Scotty, Nike would say much. He switched back and forth last year. I think it was at Firestone where he switched in the middle of the tournament between the two.

•  

Honestly I think people don't pay enough attention to when players switch clubs. Switching out a driver may not be a "huge" deal, but a relationship with new irons take time and lots of range balls. I got new irons and they felt great on the range but when I took them to the course I realized the flight of the ball, and the tragectory was very different! Took be about 3 months to get a feel for them. When I player switches an entire bag (Ricky Fowler for example) I kinda cross them off my mind for about 6 months, it will take that long to get it all figured out.

•  

COME TO THINK OF IT I CANNOT THINK OF ANYONE WHO HAS CHANGED CLUBS THAT HAS IMPROVED THEIR GAME IMMEDIATELY.

THERE SEEMS TO ALWAYS BE A LAG TIME INVOLVED BEFORE THEY REGAIN THEIR OLD CONSISTANCY.

A CHANGE LIKE 19HOLE MENTIONED SEEMS TO BE QUITE A BIT DIFFERENT THAN CHANGING MANUFACTURERS. ONE YEAR TITLEIST TO NEXT YEARS SEEMS TO WORK, BUT THE OTHER DOES NOT.

• 3852 points

mac81566

I think the biggest adjustment is with the putter. For every other club these players can get used to it very quickly.

I respectfully disagree. It's actually the opposite. If the adjustment to a new putter was that big a deal, why do so many players on all tours regularly change putters? The fact is,  more players change putters regularly than any other club. If the adjustment was so tough, they wouldn't be doing it from one tournament round to the next--not when so much money is on the line. 

Getting used to a new driver takes some time, as do new wedges. But a whole new set of irons is by far the most difficult change to make. This is shown by the fact that wedges and drivers, along with other woods, are experimented with pretty regularly, sometimes even during tournament play. Putters may be changed a number of times in four days. But rarely do you see irons get changed without it taking weeks or months for the adjustment to be made.  **That's why I've been using the same Titleist DCI Blacks for the last 16 years!!!!!

• 1539 points

This is a really good questions. Im a little surprised that some tour players struggle when they switch. Can anyone name a few who have benefited from switching?
    • 440 points

There is always a break in period with new equipment maybe a couple of rounds. This is their job so they've been custom fitted for the equipment to the nth degree, soles are ground etc. and they practice everyday adjusting isn't the problem, I think that most the time (for the players who have just won and switched) it's the demands and time constraints placed on them since they won, more press time, photo shoots, business meetings, travel etc.

•  

Jwill203
    This is a really good questions. Im a little surprised that some tour players struggle when they switch. Can anyone name a few who have benefited from switching?

i think pros have a harder time than regular players.  the pros really 'dial-in' their distances.  a new club that spins slightly differently or flies slightly longer can have a huge impact on their game.