Forums

What affect does switching equipment have....?

•  

It is all about the specs, a player knows his specs so well and changing clubs is not that big a deal.  I recently changed irons, the big change was dropping from a stiff shaft to a regular and a lighter shaft.  The shafts took no time to get use to as the ball flight as it was easier to get it up in the air.

•  

In the old days tour players would have equipment exceptions for their drivers, wedges, and putter.  It was so hard to find a good persimmon head.  Not all companies made wedges. Hogan held on to his irons so long there was no grooves left in the sweet spot which was a little toward the heel.

• 2671 points

Each person is different but the biggest change I have seen was G-Mac. WOW. no wins since. Not even in the hunt very often.

•  

Dallin

It seems like it has a huge effect, but I wonder if its mostly in the head. If memory serves me correctly, Camilo Villegas was with Cobra and was doing very well, but when he switched to Nike, he hasn't done diddly pooh.

Villegas is with TaylorMade...

You are correct, he has been a no show since the change over.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

NCBob

In the old days tour players would have equipment exceptions for their drivers, wedges, and putter.  It was so hard to find a good persimmon head.  Not all companies made wedges. Hogan held on to his irons so long there was no grooves left in the sweet spot which was a little toward the heel.

if i was a top player, that is what i would try to do.  but the golf industry is so competitive, no one can afford to admit a competitor has a better product.  image if a player spurned a Vokey wedge for a Cleveland.  i would try to hold out for at least the putter and i think that would be understandable.  but money talks and lets be honest, if someone wanted to pay me to use a different putter, i probably would.

• 2671 points

Money aside If a player has better results with a non sponsored club they will use it. Look at the make up of some of there bags. Although not widely publicized several have a hodge podge of clubs.

•  

Zombi

Money aside If a player has better results with a non sponsored club they will use it. Look at the make up of some of there bags. Although not widely publicized several have a hodge podge of clubs.

that might be true to a point, i don't think it's very widespread.  if tiger wants to use a Cleveland wedge, Nike might not say much.  but if most Dustin Johnson wants to use a different driver, Taylor Made is not going to allow it.

•  

tdogg21

Zombi

that might be true to a point, i don't think it's very widespread.  if tiger wants to use a Cleveland wedge, Nike might not say much.  but if most Dustin Johnson wants to use a different driver, Taylor Made is not going to allow it.

i dont know about because tiger is nike in the golfing world that is why the more expensive golf stuff that nike sells has the TW on it and that makes the people have to have it and i dont think nike will just let him switch clubs like that i think they will fight over it 

•  

Wheelez3030

tdogg21

Zombi

i dont know about because tiger is nike in the golfing world that is why the more expensive golf stuff that nike sells has the TW on it and that makes the people have to have it and i dont think nike will just let him switch clubs like that i think they will fight over it 

i agree that there is something in his contract (and i'm pretty sure i heard there is) that says he can't use another product.  however, my point was, if anyone can pull that off, it's him.

•  

If the players switches looking for a better clubs (innovation, tech, etc.) i believe his game has strong chances to be improved, but if he switches just because a demand from his sponsor brand I think that everything can happen from the worst to the best.

•  

tdogg21

Wheelez3030

tdogg21

Zombi

i agree that there is something in his contract (and i'm pretty sure i heard there is) that says he can't use another product.  however, my point was, if anyone can pull that off, it's him.

If there is a contractual clause it must be recent because he used to use his Scotty until recently. I am sure that Nike's development group has worked with TW to make sure that he stays on task with the equipment to his specs.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

No matter what level of golf one plays we are all creatures of habit and like to stay in our comfort zones. Changes in equipment do have an affect as does any change in  daily rountine and life...I am sure changes associated with the PGA Players are first based on money, followed by the desire to utilize the latest advanced technology.....

•  

girlsgotgolf

No matter what level of golf one plays we are all creatures of habit and like to stay in our comfort zones. Changes in equipment do have an affect as does any change in  daily rountine and life...I am sure changes associated with the PGA Players are first based on money, followed by the desire to utilize the latest advanced technology.....

\

You totally nailed it! Great insight!

•  

thomas alston iii

tdogg21

Wheelez3030

tdogg21

Zombi

If there is a contractual clause it must be recent because he used to use his Scotty until recently. I am sure that Nike's development group has worked with TW to make sure that he stays on task with the equipment to his specs.

-ICONs for ALL

i was thinking things other than putter.  that's the one club i think companies are more lenient with.  

at one point Nike made a set of clubs for Tiger that you couldn't buy and had no markings.  i think they were copies of the Mizuno clubs he used as an amateur .

• 3627 points

I would say it's about 50/50...some guys it makes little difference, some it makes a huge difference. Didn't Pavin's game go downhill after switching to Cleveland VAS's (the ugliest clubs of all time?)