Forums

Rory's Tenure

•  

joshgiano

I think Rory will surprise a lot of people with his tenure.  He's in contention most of the time, and he's always lingering around in Majors.  The kid flat out knows how to win, which not everyone can learn.  If he can ride this wave of success I wouldn't be surprised to see him gain some distance on #2 and the rest of the pack.

i agree with that.  he always seems to be around the top.  and that is key to world ranking points.

•  

bmullins

I agree with your comments here I believe Rory has a chance to be at the top for a good while. But I don't believe anyone will be as dominant as Tiger was the level of competition is just far more equal than when Tiger went on his run of dominance. But it will be fun to watch this young man grow in years to come. Keep it up Rors.

I think you really miss the point about Tiger.  He changed how golf was played.  I think the competition was just as strong when he came out.  You still only have a few great players out there now and several that are hot for one or two seasons and fade away. How many will make the Ryder Cup team for 2 teams in a row?  Tiger forced people to step up physically and mentally, he also had a lot to do with the swing that everyone uses now (the athletic swing vs the reverse C ).   Look at the entourage that follow a player around. Before Tiger they would call their instructor at night and describe what was happening and get their lesson over the phone.  The last player to have that kind of impact was Nicklaus.

•  

I think theres to mant good players that'll challenge him! TW, Phil, Stricker, Wilson. Bradley all have star a nd firepower to beat him! That said I do like that THIS #1 player has a major under his belt!

•  

TNT009

I think theres to mant good players that'll challenge him! TW, Phil, Stricker, Wilson. Bradley all have star a nd firepower to beat him! That said I do like that THIS #1 player has a major under his belt!

yeah, not only does he have the stars in his generation, but the generation above (tiger, phil, etc.)

•  

NCBob

bmullins

I agree with your comments here I believe Rory has a chance to be at the top for a good while. But I don't believe anyone will be as dominant as Tiger was the level of competition is just far more equal than when Tiger went on his run of dominance. But it will be fun to watch this young man grow in years to come. Keep it up Rors.

I think you really miss the point about Tiger.  He changed how golf was played.  I think the competition was just as strong when he came out.  You still only have a few great players out there now and several that are hot for one or two seasons and fade away. How many will make the Ryder Cup team for 2 teams in a row?  Tiger forced people to step up physically and mentally, he also had a lot to do with the swing that everyone uses now (the athletic swing vs the reverse C ).   Look at the entourage that follow a player around. Before Tiger they would call their instructor at night and describe what was happening and get their lesson over the phone.  The last player to have that kind of impact was Nicklaus.

i agree that TIger changed more of the game than most realize.  just the fitness level alone has made a huge change.

not sure if i agree about the competition though.  Tiger came at a good time.  a lot of the stars were aging and there weren't a lot of new stars.  plus the talent from overseas is much stronger now.

•  

joshgiano

I think Rory will surprise a lot of people with his tenure.  He's in contention most of the time, and he's always lingering around in Majors.  The kid flat out knows how to win, which not everyone can learn.  If he can ride this wave of success I wouldn't be surprised to see him gain some distance on #2 and the rest of the pack.

Well said josh.....I concur. RM handles himself with innate professionalism and a maturity beyond his years. Would enjoy seeing his reign continue for a while.....

•  

Tiger did not have tough competition? You have such a short memory. D.Love, Azinger, Couples, Michelson, Duval, Montgomery, Westwood, Harrington, Parnivik, Singh, Langer, Els, Sergio, Goosen,etc.,etc.

And who can say his era is over.

• 2731 points

Rory is definitley gonna be at or near the top for the next dozen years or so.

Smartest thing I have heard him say was that he "is trying to be  the first Rory instead of the next Tiger"

The young man has been emotionally crushed at the  Masters and comes right back and runs away with the next major........that says all you need to know

•  

NCBob

Tiger did not have tough competition? You have such a short memory. D.Love, Azinger, Couples, Michelson, Duval, Montgomery, Westwood, Harrington, Parnivik, Singh, Langer, Els, Sergio, Goosen,etc.,etc.

Love - past prime

Azinger - past prime

Couples - past prime

Michelson - not dedicated enough early in his career.  relied too much on his AMAZING talent

Duval - do i have to go there?

Monty - past prime and never really was a threat in the States

Westwood - yes, but not the player he is now

Harrington - yes great player but also competed a lot in Europe

Parnivik - good?  sure.  tough competition?  no.

Singh - definitely, but only for about a 2 or 3 year stretch

Langer - well past prime

Els - end of his prime

Sergio - nope.  never put it together

Goosen - sure, but not consistently.

I am in no way saying Tiger had it easy.  but he also came at a good time.  6 years earlier and he would have hit Couples, Love, Norman, Zinger, Pavin, Crenshaw, Kite all in their prime.  There were a lot of really good players during his early days, but none of them were consistent tough competitors that he would have to face week after week.  

• 2661 points

I think the reason think Rory has it tougher than Tiger did was the difference in golf coverage today. You were lucky to catch the last day let alone double coverage. Tiger had it tough we just know more about even the average tour players if there is such a thing.

•  

tdogg21

NCBob

Love - past prime

Azinger - past prime

Couples - past prime

Michelson - not dedicated enough early in his career.  relied too much on his AMAZING talent

Duval - do i have to go there?

Monty - past prime and never really was a threat in the States

Westwood - yes, but not the player he is now

Harrington - yes great player but also competed a lot in Europe

Parnivik - good?  sure.  tough competition?  no.

Singh - definitely, but only for about a 2 or 3 year stretch

Langer - well past prime

Els - end of his prime

Sergio - nope.  never put it together

Goosen - sure, but not consistently.

I am in no way saying Tiger had it easy.  but he also came at a good time.  6 years earlier and he would have hit Couples, Love, Norman, Zinger, Pavin, Crenshaw, Kite all in their prime.  There were a lot of really good players during his early days, but none of them were consistent tough competitors that he would have to face week after week.  

TDog I think you need to check your chronology.  Many of the players I named were dead center on their prime.  Take a quick look at ryder cup teams 97, 99,02,04,06.  Tiger will be out on tour for 16 years come August, he started Aug 96.  Gee Duval was number 1 in the world, yeah it is a shame he hurt his back and developed vertigo.  These guys are not 2 year wonders like so many of the kids these days. 

Prime for many golfers was 30-40, and I think as you pointed out that they really get stronger like Mickelson, Westwood. 
  •  

NCBob

TDog I think you need to check your chronology.  Many of the players I named were dead center on their prime.  Take a quick look at ryder cup teams 97, 99,02,04,06.  Tiger will be out on tour for 16 years come August, he started Aug 96.  Gee Duval was number 1 in the world, yeah it is a shame he hurt his back and developed vertigo.  These guys are not 2 year wonders like so many of the kids these days. 

Prime for many golfers was 30-40, and I think as you pointed out that they really get stronger like Mickelson, Westwood. 

i don't know.  Couples was the best golfer in the early 90s, but by '94 or '95 his back started acting up and he hasn't been a threat since.  Azinger had his cancer scare in late '93 to late '94 and was never the same golfer.  langer was #1 in the world in '86 and only won 3 PGA tourneys, the last being in '93.  Monty was good, but he basically played in Europe and never won a PGA event.  you can't use Ryder Cup teams as a measuring stick because that only compares how they were to their contemporaries.  Tiger never had more than one or two great players to deal with.  and that was Mickleson and Vijay.  and really, neither one of them were consistent enough to be a threat.  

• 3852 points

Let me put this simply. All a player can do is beat those of his own time, whomever they may be. Over the first 13 or so years of Tiger Woods' career, distinguished himself as the clearly  best player against everyone playing the game professionally. 

Rather than argue that his competition was not "good enough" you would have a stronger case to argue that Tiger Woods was so superior that it made his competition look inadequate at times in comparison.

If you have any real understanding of how hard it is to excel at the highest level, you would not diminish the talent of all those over the last decade. Whether you like him or approve of his off-course screwing around, Tiger had a magic to know how to perform when it mattered--and often in amazing ways that most of those in the serious golf world had never seen before.

Don't trash others until you have some idea of what it's like to play at the highest level. Better to appreciate that Tiger had something very special for a decade that may never come around again in any of our lifetimes.

•  

golfdoc1

Let me put this simply. All a player can do is beat those of his own time, whomever they may be. Over the first 13 or so years of Tiger Woods' career, distinguished himself as the clearly  best player against everyone playing the game professionally. 

Rather than argue that his competition was not "good enough" you would have a stronger case to argue that Tiger Woods was so superior that it made his competition look inadequate at times in comparison.

If you have any real understanding of how hard it is to excel at the highest level, you would not diminish the talent of all those over the last decade. Whether you like him or approve of his off-course screwing around, Tiger had a magic to know how to perform when it mattered--and often in amazing ways that most of those in the serious golf world had never seen before.

Don't trash others until you have some idea of what it's like to play at the highest level. Better to appreciate that Tiger had something very special for a decade that may never come around again in any of our lifetimes.

personally, i think Tiger is/was the greatest golfer ever.  if for nothing else, he seemed to have the ability to win whenever he wanted.  he was like a human video game.  i looked past his 'bad qualities' for many years and he was my favorite player.  unfortunately that all changed very quickly.  but that doesn't take away from what he did on the golf course.  when he was at his top, players admitted they went in to final rounds playing for second place.  not many players can say they won the tourney on the range before the final round even started.  but essentially that's what Tiger did.  

however, with that said, i think the competition is better now.  would Tiger in his prime still be the best in the world now?  of course.  but he might not have almost triple the world ranking points of second place.  at one point Phil had a smaller lead in world ranking points on us than Tiger did on him!  that was an incredible run.

so basically, with the current competition i don't think anyone will be dominate as long as Tiger was.  not taking away from Tiger or Rory.  they played in essentially different eras.

•  

I do not know about his tenure, to early to tell but, RORs is currently leading the FedEx race.

-ICONs for ALL