Forums

Keegan Bradley... Time to call him out.

•  

Yesterday was a fantastic finish at Riveria in the Northern Trust. Compelling golf all around.

But it's time to call out Keegan Bradley for his absolutely inane tics and frankly, bad behavior. Let's start with the tics that he has in pre-shot routine. How many times does he need to step away from the ball? Three, Four... Five maybe? On 17 I counted him walking up out of that bunker 4 times and then stepping back from the bal 2 more times. Six resets before he takes his shot. Does anyone recall how Sergio got crucified for his antics a few years ago? It was no where near as annoying as this. Keegan, it's time to take a couple deep breaths and re-tool the pre-shot planning my friend. You're too squirrely and high strung.

Then there is the constant pre-shot spitting. When did that come up? Even the announcers sort of joked about it, but yet there he was, spitting before his shot. Once again, really? Tiger spit and got hammered. Sergio, while his form was appaling by spitting in a cup, is really the same personal expelling of fluids. So it's also time for having a talk with young Mr Bradley and reminding him he's on TV and spitting on course.

Knock it off Keegan. You have a promising future, but these tics have to stop.

•  

Yeah, I noticed all that too.  He looked to me like he was about to have a nervous breakdown. I totally agree with you that he needs to fine tune his pre-shot routine and hit the ball.

•  

I don't remember him doing any of these random tics when we won the PGA.  He had his line up thing off the tee, but that's about it.  I agree Randy, Keegan needs to get a hold of himself.  The tics didn't work for Sergio, and I doubt they will work for Keegan either.

•  

Randy, no one could disagree with you comment. The PGA Tour is probably calling him on the carpet, as we type, about spitting. The slow play needs to be addressed as well. It's a "job" with loads of money and prestige at stake, but I don't recall other high profile golfer doing this regularly (except Sergio). KB needs to alter his method of handling the pressure.

•  

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2671 points

I couldn't agree more. Bordering on disrespectful with the repeated spitting. Coming from the golf background that he does I am very surprised by his actions this weekend.

• 2671 points

I am also disappointed that Phil has not said anything to him being that they play together during the week. He has done a lot of mentoring to Keegan. If no one else would say anything hopefully his sponsors will step in .

•  

Bradley might need to see a psychologist.  I'm not kidding.  That seems like some sort of compulsive disorder that he's developed since last year.  That kind of behavior is typically more mental than it is blatant bad manners.   I think slow play, like talking to your caddie for 10 minutes before hitting a shot, is bad behavior.  Bradley's behavior is much different.  At least that's my take.

Disclaimer: I'm not a licensed psychologist, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

•  

Yeah having to watch him move around like a squirrel on crack was hard to follow yesterday.  Very strange...

Spitting... yes it's nasty but nothing different that seeing baseball players doing it. Not sure what his problem is.   Atleast he wasn't grabbing himself every other minute though. 

•  

I agree  that Mr. Bradley needs some calming influence on the course. And his habit of spitting is definitely going to get him some less than rave reviews. Watching him yesterday made me nervous and it makes one want to shout at him to "Cool It".

• 1033 points

WOW I was watching the same thing getting all hot under the collar. Thanks Tar Heel for bringing it up.  I couldnt stand the preshot pounding the wedge into the turf 30 times. The spitting was ridicoulus as the walk offs.  Most of the shots I watched were with a Pwedge.  Im sorry but if your on the tour and have won a major I'm sure you've hit a 150yd shot a million times. Get your line, trust it and go. I was highly frustrated to say the least.  GREAT WIN FOR TEAM FJ!

• 3852 points

Well, I am a psychologist, and I would like to have a chance to work with him. Just as Sergio learned over time to give up the nervous habit and griping and re-gripping, Bradley, needs to give up some of his nervous habits. If he doesn't, as he gets older, it will get the best of him and affect his game. The spitting is the easiest habit to give up.

It's all those ticks and repeated mannerisms that will take some doing. 

•  

These guys make all people nervous. I think, like in other sports, they should receive a yellow card from a Marshall.

•  

Thanks golfdoc...you confirmed my diagnosis. 

•  

As I listen to some of the TV this morning (post my post), it seems many are taking exception to Keegan's foible's. With this much attention he's sure to get lots of calls this week.

Golfdoc, get on the horn man! You could have a new client this week. And Scotty... I only stay at Marriott Courtyard. No Holiday Inn Express for me! Guess that's why I am who I am......