Forums

Greatest Sunday collapse in a major?

• 275 points

I think there were multiple collapses at the 06 Winged Foot Open...Phil and Monty stand out the most, but no one beats the 99 collapse of Van de Velde.

•  

I would have to agree with Norman.  You cannot lose a masters like that... that was a sad day for golf and for the Norman camp!!

•  

Normans collapse is the worst one in my opinion because he was one of the best at the time and completely choked.

•  

I would have to say Phil Mickelson at the 2006 US Open is probably the worst sunday collapse

•  

jas904

I also think it would be Norman at the Masters.  That was painful to watch.

I was still young when that happened so I didn't get to see it Live, but the replays are rather depressing.  He was the worst thing that happened to him.  He really knows how to get in his own way.

Tim

•  

caddy13

I would have to say Phil Mickelson at the 2006 US Open is probably the worst sunday collapse

That was really only one bad hole.  His performance on the 18th hole was pretty pitiful.  I know there is a ton of pressure to win a major, but you can't hit it into a trash can.  He has been in that position too many times to collapse like that.

Tim

•  

While Van De Veldes is so well known because of that ONE hole, I believe Norman's at the Masters ranks as the worst collapse in a round of golf at a major.