Forums

No Shorts for Tour Players

•  

TNT009

Ive found in heat, silk pants work the best! Easily the best cooling pants going!

Silk...that's interesting.  I wouldn't have thought of that.  I can certainly see the benefits of how that would keep you cool, but I don't think it would work for me.  I spend too much time in the woods and silk would get ripped to shreds with my erratic tee game.

•  

Ball hawking in the D.R., I'd be afraid of what might lurk in there. To wit, my silk shorts (I will NEVER do it) would be unscathed but might die of moisture saturation. Doesn't silk dislike moisture?

• 2661 points

Rules change with the times, there are several players that would if they could. look at the change in hats throughout the years. 

• 3627 points

It works for Tour players. But there is nothing that looks goofier than a 10 handicapper wearing pants on a hot July day to look like a tour pro. There is just no need!

•  

Wrong, better sun protection and less risk of cancer... Ever see a close-up of tom Kite or Els face and neck regions!!!

PatCCraig

It works for Tour players. But there is nothing that looks goofier than a 10 handicapper wearing pants on a hot July day to look like a tour pro. There is just no need!

•  

PatCCraig

just FYI, not everyone wears long pants to look like a tour pro.  my Dad was not a scratch golfer, but always wore long pants.  there was some chemical courses started using that gave him a rash if he wore shorts.  started about 5 years before he died (04ish), anytime he wore shorts his ankles would have a rash by that night.

so next time you're snickering at that 'bad' 10-handicapper trying to look like a pro, don't forget he might not be the goofy one.

•  

TNT009

Wrong, better sun protection and less risk of cancer... Ever see a close-up of tom Kite or Els face and neck regions!!!

PatCCraig

I had a friend that battled skin cancer once and his doctor told him he HAD to wear long pants and long sleeves with a big hat if he wanted to play any golf. ALL THE TIME, no matter what the temperature was. He lived 5 more years playing golf like that and never complained about the extra clothes. He still ended up passing away from skin cancer a second time.

•  

Golfers use to wear white shirts, ties and sport coats when they played and the ladies wore long dresses.  Times change as do the wardrobe of players.  It will play out in its own time.  By the way watch the caddies at the Masters they will be wearing the Augusta coveralls.

• 3627 points

TNT009

PatCCraig

You must have one high waist, because my pants don't seem to cover my neck! :)

Els and Kite's skin is a result of a long life lived outdoors in a warm climate and probably with little sunscreen. For those of us in a cooler climate and a desk job, consistent use of a hat and sunscreen is usually more than enough protection. 

• 3627 points

tdogg21

PatCCraig

just FYI, not everyone wears long pants to look like a tour pro.  my Dad was not a scratch golfer, but always wore long pants.  there was some chemical courses started using that gave him a rash if he wore shorts.  started about 5 years before he died (04ish), anytime he wore shorts his ankles would have a rash by that night.

so next time you're snickering at that 'bad' 10-handicapper trying to look like a pro, don't forget he might not be the goofy one.

That's a rare case tdogg. I'm mostly alluding to the guy with a staff bag and long pants on the local muni range shanking 5-irons into the right range fence. 

•  

PatCCraig

tdogg21

PatCCraig

That's a rare case tdogg. I'm mostly alluding to the guy with a staff bag and long pants on the local muni range shanking 5-irons into the right range fence. 

i hear what you're saying, but i doubt a 10-handicapper is shanking 5-irons onto the range.  i have no issue with someone looking like a tour pro.  now acting like one is different.  i hate when single digit handicappers think they could be a tour pro if they didn't have a real job.  or my favorite is the club twirl on every shot and chip.  i actually played with a guy who would extend the club up and twirl it after a chip.  i think he was more concerned with the twirl than he was that his chip didn't get within 15 feet.  it was too bad, he could have been a really good player if he wasn't so full of himsel.

• 1787 points

I admire the personal standards you've set.

If I'm invited to a nice club, I will always check with the club policy and my host.  If allowed AND my host is wearing shorts, I will as well.

• 3627 points

tdogg21

PatCCraig

tdogg21

PatCCraig

i hear what you're saying, but i doubt a 10-handicapper is shanking 5-irons onto the range.  i have no issue with someone looking like a tour pro.  now acting like one is different.  i hate when single digit handicappers think they could be a tour pro if they didn't have a real job.  or my favorite is the club twirl on every shot and chip.  i actually played with a guy who would extend the club up and twirl it after a chip.  i think he was more concerned with the twirl than he was that his chip didn't get within 15 feet.  it was too bad, he could have been a really good player if he wasn't so full of himsel.

Exactly.

•  

GTJacket8

TNT009

Ive found in heat, silk pants work the best! Easily the best cooling pants going!

Silk...that's interesting.  I wouldn't have thought of that.  I can certainly see the benefits of how that would keep you cool, but I don't think it would work for me.  I spend too much time in the woods and silk would get ripped to shreds with my erratic tee game.

Silk: great product but not cost effective for majority of public...(Just sayin...)

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Honestly, it does not make sense to allow the "now" generation to dictate the standards that exist for the Touring Professionals. It is necessary to maintain decorum and standards that are the intent and existence of the game. I personally do not see the professionalism in wearing shorts and perhaps that is the difference in consideration of current versus long - standing traditions and values.

-ICONs for ALL