Forums

2K10 Season is right around the corner...

•  

As I watched the end of the Shark Shootout and saw the commercials for the ADT Skins match in 2 weeks, I couldn't help but start to think about the 2010 PGA Season and what stories will be the headlines come January.

Let's get the big pink elephant in the room out of the way... HE's taking a hiatus to deal with recent "events". Thats fine, do your thing. Get everything in order and get back to work at being the best damn golfer in the world. Good luck and can't wait to see the reactions by everyone from the commish, players, fans... even non-fans that just want to have an opinion...

I want T-Dub to get paired with one or more of these guys that decided to "comment" on what he did. Who wouldn't want him just DOMINATE the field? Whos better at answering the bell? Seriously? We done here? Let us proceed...

So let me just throw out a few names I think will be great stories this season.... Feel free to comment or add any other names to this list.... Everyone ready? Have at it....

Steve Stricker (keeping the momentum from last season through the Presidents Cup and even the Shark... Go Steve!)

Sergio Garcia (WILL win a major this year... no really)

Rickie Fowler (baby face with pure power)

Davis Love III (healty back = re-birth?)

Tim Clark ("Bulldog")

Colt Knost (Great game but been on a milk carton)

Adam Moore (finally able to show off that talent)

Tim Herron ("LUMPY"... Love that guy...)

and....

•  

The TOUR should hope that guys like Phil Mickelson and Adam Scott start out strong this year.  Golf, in general, could use those guys to keep the ratings respectable until Tiger comes back.  I'm a big fan of those two guys and I think alot of other people are too.  Plus, if other guys like Sergio, Camillo, Anothony Kim and Rickie Fowler start strong this season, it would help the PGA TOUR and TV ratings.  They might also want to get Rory McIlroy to play in more TOUR events.  If I were marketing for the PGA TOUR, I would be pushing those young guys as hard as possible right now (and crossing my fingers).

•  

With Tiger taking an indefinite leave from golf, my only concern is how the Tour is going to react.  Not the players but the fans.  When Tiger was out just because of his knee problems, the Tour saw a tremendous drop in viewers and revenue.  With him being out at least a year (in my opinion, we should see him back in 2011 for a couple tournaments here and there) I am wondering what will happen.

I don't see him back any time this year, not even for the majors, it just wouldn't make sense with the comment he has made public, he usually sticks to his guns and I don't think it would be a "welcome home" if he did go to ONLY the majors.  I would be kind of turned off if he did that.  I respect the decision he has made and I think he should take the time necessary to get things back in order.

As for the up and coming season, I'm looking forward to seeing Fowler, McIlroy and Scott.  I think Fowler will contest in a couple big events this year and I think Rors will win a couple tournaments and possibly a major (not Sergio).  =)

•  

TWs leaving is going to be a major blow to the Tour. According to the PGA, when he was out with the surgery, their viewing and attendance of golf was down over 50%. That being said, I think we'll see some good golf without him. Lefty ( cause i never remember how to speel his last name) is going to take up some of the slack along with Sricker, Kelly, McIlroy, Poulter and Paddy. ( Did I include a Kelly, must have been a mistake) Most of the players interviewed thus far about TW said he has made the right decision and I agree with Eric that we probably won't see him until 2011. We'll miss him, but there are other players that deserve our respect and admiration for the game they play. I for one will root for those I have mentioned above and may the golf gods look with favor on all of us who chase the white ball for 2010.

• 3195 points

Obviously the absence of Tiger is going to effect the tour.  No doubt about that.  Im expecting Stricker to make a lot of noise next year.  He is playing really well right now and IMO if he can keep it together, he could win a lot of tournaments and maybe even walk away with a major and the Fed Ex Cup.

•  

There's a lot to consider in this series of posts. As a Phil Mickelson guy, I am looking for him to have a big year. Thinking 1 or more majors for him. I think I already weighed in on who I see bringing home majors this year (Westwood, O'Hair, Phil) and then there are going to be the wild cards. I think Steve Stricker could get a Masters. I think Camillo could surprise.

Then again, the odds always defy us, right?

And I think Memphis has it right, the PGA needs to crank some serious marketing right now. 2010 will be a rebound year economically, but for the sponsors, they're costs are sunk into the "downturn." Look at how bad the LPGA got drilled. The PGA could still see a major fallout. Think of this, the LPGA could actually benefit and pick up sponsors who get more cost effective events, plus stronger Pro-Am deals. Widely known that LPGA ladies are more engaging in Pro-Ams. So the tour needs to be careful, because they haven't seen anything like this ever, and it can be really bad.

Remember the "THESE GUYS ARE GOOD" campaign? They need to dust that off and get the young guns filmed and on TV pronto!

•  

I hope the young guns can fill the void and make this year a positive one. There are alot of stories available to push to get some good press going. 

Some of the older guys getting primed for their senior debut and some of the young kids looking hungry should make for a good year.

How about  "These guys are YOUNG"

•  

We'll see a return to the large # of wins by the 20-somethings this year.  Many are playing some VERY good golf, and it's hard to image that we wouldn't see a couple wins between Ryan Moore, Rickie Fowler, AK, and Rory.  Not to slight anyone else at all, but they all seem to be going the right direction right now.  Additional rooting interest in another tour rook, but not exactly a known name.

•  

PGATour.com posted their "Top 100 players to watch in 2010".  They have posted 10-100 revealing a new one every day until 12/31/09, here's their list so far.

Rank Player
    10 Jim Furyk
    11 Rory McIlroy
    12 Kenny Perry
    13 Stewart Cink
    14 Henrik Stenson
    15 Hunter Mahan
    16 Paul Casey
    17 Geoff Ogilvy
    18 Brian Gay
    19 Ernie Els
    20 Retief Goosen
    21 Angel Cabrera
    22 Tim Clark
    23 Camilo Villegas
    24 Vijay Singh
    25 Anthony Kim
    26 Nick Watney
    27 Brandt Snedeker
    28 Dustin Johnson
    29 Steve Marino
    30 David Toms
    31 Ian Poulter
    32 Ryan Moore
    33 Luke Donald
    34 Matt Kuchar
    35 Justin Leonard
    36 Jerry Kelly
    37 Scott Verplank
    38 Rory Sabbatini
    39 Heath Slocum
    40 John Senden
    41 Mike Weir
    42 Pat Perez
    43 Chad Campbell
    44 Kevin Na
    45 Robert Allenby
    46 Jeev Milkha Singh
    47 Mark Wilson
    48 Marc Leishman
    49 John Rollins
    50 Davis Love III
    51 Jason Dufner
    52 Kevin Sutherland
    53 Stephen Ames
    54 Boo Weekley
    55 Charley Hoffman
    56 Paul Goydos
    57 Martin Laird
    58 Ben Crane
    59 Bill Haas
    60 Trevor Immelman
    61 Mathew Goggin
    62 Charles Howell III
    63 John Mallinger
    64 Bubba Watson
    65 J.B. Holmes
    66 Jonathan Byrd
    67 Aaron Baddeley
    68 Bryce Molder
    69 Woody Austin
    70 Briny Baird
    71 Justin Rose
    72 Brett Quigley
    73 K.J. Choi
    74 Webb Simpson
    75 Nathan Green
    76 Jason Bohn
    77 Charlie Wi
    78 Bo Van Pelt
    79 Jason Day
    80 J.J. Henry
    81 Kevin Streelman
    82 Michael Sim
    83 D.J. Trahan
    84 Jeff Klauk
    85 Fred Couples
    86 George McNeill
    87 Tim Petrovic
    88 Scott Piercy
    89 David Duval
    90 Rickie Fowler
    91 James Nitties
    92 Adam Scott
    93 Rich Beem
    94 Ben Curtis
    95 Fredrik Jacobson
    96 Vaughn Taylor
    97 Rod Pampling
    98 Mark Calcavecchia
    99 Ricky Barnes
    100 Stuart Appleby

•  

I'm hoping for a solid season for a couple "no namers" as well.  Especially Billy Horschel out of Gator country and Chris Wilson

•  

Would be great to see Mike Wier have a great year, have to pull for my fellow lefty Canadian.

•  

Rank Player
    9 Y.E. Yang

•  

I agree EM... A bunch of guys on NO ONES radar would be a great lift to the tour this year...

•  

I'll be watching Padraig,and Rory. As I am Irish,can't help but root for them.

•  

I agree wholeheartedly. I'd add another name to the list. I hope John Daly gets a big win under his belt this year. It would be great to see him back on the tour. Fans would flock to see him play again and I think he deserves some serious kudos for turning his life around.