Forums

Michelle Wie Breaks Through

•  

In what will arguably be seen as a major career breakthrough, Michelle Wie out dueled LPGA star Paula Creamer to win the Lorena Ochoa tourney this weekend. 2009 saw Ms. Wie finally start to believe in herself and blossom out from under her parental pressure.

I for one am glad she has the monkey off her back, and look forward to her being in a position, along with the rest of the LPGA stars, in breathing life back into the ladies tour. Well done Michelle!

•  

Ya know, I'm thinking it REALLY started in the Solheim Cup....I think without that experience it may have taken her a little longer even, but was likely inevitable!

•  

congrats to michelle.  i'm sure that this is just the first of many to come.  getting past someone of paulas caliber should help give her the confidence she needs to perform at the levels to be a top golfer.

•  

Glad she broke thru and would love to see this kickstart her to more good play.

I was starting to think she would be another of the long line of child stars that fizzled out. 

•  

Glad she won!!! I agree her breakthrough seemed to be the Solheim Cup!!

The biggest difference in her game seems to be much less of her father being in the picture...hope she can keep them away so she can enjoy the game and blossom with the talent she has.

•  

I don't know if I consider it a break through but good to see her playing decent golf after the flop she was a couple years ago.  Hopefully it can continue but I agree with Welch with her becoming more solid at the Solheim Cup.

•  
    It was a great victory for Michelle and for the LPGA. I agree with several others who've mentioned Solheim play -- which really created the first break from her parents. I think they've pushed her into some bad decisions, which may or may not have been intentional, but it sure helps that she's starting to mature and come into her own as a player. As Dottie Pepper and a couple of other analysts mentioned, it's probably a good thing that she's at Stanford on her own and finding herself.
  •  

Michelle seemed to gain a lot of confidence as she played the entire tournament. She has  my congratulations on a great achievemnet and getting her first LPGA win . I would hope that now that she has gotten her first win, we will see more of the same from her. And I would also hope that her dad  & mother will cool it and take a back seat and leave her alone. They have been a negative influence and pushed her when they shouldn't have, resulting on her flops and underachieving.

•  

Seems like she also broke her ankle?  Saw some highlights today from the tournament in Texas and she was hobbling around and just a real mess.  Solid golf was played but she sure was in some pain at times. 

Who does she think she is??? Tiger?!  LOL =)