Forums

LPGA loses again

•  

Yesterday the LPGA lost Annheuser-Busch as the title sponsor for the Michelob Classic at Kingsmill in Virginia. Interesting, since A-B also owns Kingsmill Resort and Spa, and this event has been voted one of the top events for fans of the LPGA.

This is sad, because the LPGA is now down from 34 events in 2007 to 27 this year, with only 20 solid commitments for next year. How does the LPGA turn the tide around? The LPGA has got to get it's act together, and it's starts with a strong commissioner. Who is that? Where is she and how can we help? I watch the events on TV. Support the sponsors.

Thoughts?

•  

I don't know if any changes can really be made at the grass roots level... I don't even know where to begin or how begin.

•  

They are now looking for a new commissioner. It was noted during the Solheim Cup that they are losing sponsors and what they are trying to do about it. I watch the gals and I wonder if part of the reason they are losing sponsors is because of the lack of US golfers that are competing and winning. I have nothing against the Asian gals. They are proving to be excellent golfers and competitors, but they are certainly giving everyone a run for their money.

•  

This is really too bad...I hadn't seen that yet.  A new commish should go a long way, as the last was really a mess in my opinion.  I agree with eagle that the lack of American winners week in and week out hurts the tour.  I'll watch either way, but the casual golf fan wants to tune in and watch someone that they've at least heard of win the tournament.  All of the golf junkies here, I would expect to just want great golf like I do, but I worry about the casual fan losing interest.

•  

I think the economy is effecting everything. Anheuser Busch is now owned by a Belgium company, who might not think LPGA can be profitable for them. I read that one of the problems with the Asian players is at the Pro Ams, where people pay big bucks, the players can not communicate with the amateurs because of the language barriers. That was one of the reasons Biven, wanted players to be able to speak english. I also think the american players have to step up their game. What do you think of Nancy Lopez as commissioner? 

•  

What about the PGA absorbing the LPGA similar to how the NBA runs/owns the WNBA.

Not sure how it would work, but I'm sure events that run together at the same sites combining tours could be interesting

I do believe some of the fallout is from Bivens, the lack of identity with the tour with Annika gone and too many non-Americans that seem robotic winning.

Thoughts...

•  

We lost the LPGA John Q. Hammons classic here in Tulsa this year. It was a great tourney to go out and watch the ladies in.  Always had a great turn out, but the economy took another bite .

•  

OUTIGER

We lost the LPGA John Q. Hammons classic here in Tulsa this year. It was a great tourney to go out and watch the ladies in.  Always had a great turn out, but the economy took another bite .

Seems to be happening a lot, even on the PGA Tour. We are going to loose the PGA event (formally the GMO) here in Milwaukee if they can't find a new sponsor. Stricker and Kelly, both Wisconsin natives are working on getting one but unless they can change the dates so it is not the same week as the British Open it doesn't look good. Would hate to see it leave the city, it is a great event and brings lots of $ to the local economy.

•  

On todays (9/30) GC website, Shag Bag section it said the LPGA may be getting 23 - 25 events next year. Down from the 27 this year and 34 last year. Exxon may be the sponsor of the LPGA Championship.

•  

grumpy830

On todays (9/30) GC website, Shag Bag section it said the LPGA may be getting 23 - 25 events next year. Down from the 27 this year and 34 last year. Exxon may be the sponsor of the LPGA Championship.

they should have the $ to do it, would be great if they got that big of a sponsor.

•  

Bummer, it seemed like the LPGA was on the upswing with all the great things they are doing...

•  

grumpy830

I think the economy is effecting everything. Anheuser Busch is now owned by a Belgium company, who might not think LPGA can be profitable for them. I read that one of the problems with the Asian players is at the Pro Ams, where people pay big bucks, the players can not communicate with the amateurs because of the language barriers. That was one of the reasons Biven, wanted players to be able to speak english. I also think the american players have to step up their game. What do you think of Nancy Lopez as commissioner? 

Lopez may be the answer. Bivens just didn't seem to have the personality to get the job done. Whereas Lopez is a recognized name in the LPGA and in the world of womens golf. It would be nice to see the gals get more tournaments again, but I'm afraid that the economy is going to be rough on everyone for a while. That being said, Lopez just might be able to get everything up and running smoothly again and with her recognition she might even be able to get back some of those that have been lost.