Forums

Who's Responsibility is it?

•  

Today, in The Greater Hickory Classic, Fred Funk was accessed a 2 stroke penalty for using his playing partners club. I've seen this happen a few times at tournaments. Who could forget Ian Woosnam? And it recently happened to Jim Furyk. Who do you think is responsible for this oversight, the player or the caddie?

•  

First of all, how does  the club get in the players bag? Every time I watch the pros, they always hand their club back to the caddy after each use.  It would then be the Caddy's  responsibility to make sure he had the correct clubs in the bag. Otherwise, how else could this happen??

•  

I think that they are both responsible.  Both are professionals at what they do, and while I do feel that it's one of the responsibilities of the caddy, the player should also be checking, as he knows the rules and is ultimately responsible for his score.

•  

I can see having too many clubs in your bag and being penalized for that.  It is a mistake, but could happen.  Not sure about using someone else's club. 

•  

How does that happen, how does your playing partner end up with your club in his bag.

How do you not notice your not playing your own clubs?

I think this falls on caddy to allow your players club out of your site to the point it ends up in another players bag.

CONFUSING!!!

• 1015 points

It's definitely the caddies fault, but the player should always double check. Although,  I believe that Jim Furyk's incident was having an extra club. I was watching this earlier and didn't really understand that there was a problem, because i just tuned in when Fred Funk was joking with Jay Haas. That seemed like a really strange thing to do after inuring a penalty.

•  

Definitely the player...the caddie is just along for the ride...however the caddie can help interpret rules and bounce ideas around from time to time.

•  

How in the hell do you use your playing partners club?  Grab from the wrong bag?  I think it's the players fault if that was to happen.  How does a player not know his own club?

Even if you are using the same irons, I could tell the difference between my club and another one. 

•  

Its hard to access blame to one person they way that whole scenerio went down, it was a mix up that could have happened to anyone in that situation.

•  

It is always the Player's responsibility. He must know how many clubs are in his bag, if the club he pulls out of his bag is really his and that he is about to play his ball.

Can't blame the caddie, although many would, it is up to the competitor.

•  

He used his playing partners club? What the heck... how dumb can you be?

Not sure about you guys, but I know my clubs from someone else's... OK, so I am a lefty and the obvious should help... but that's a wholly different joke.

Seriously, I believe this one is the players responsibility. Players are always tweaking to make sure their clubs are exactly to their specks. He surely should notice a grip variance or something. This one is even more bizzare that Woosnam's gaffe with the driver.

•  

the player is always responsible, he makes all final decisions concerning his shots and what is in his bag. using his playing partners club puts an additional club in his bag.  14 max

•  

After the round Fred Funk was interviewed on Golf Channel. He said this happened to him once before at a tournament at Disney, when he took a club out of Olin Browne's bag. His mind has to really be somewhere else, to do this not once, but twice.

•  

Where is the caddy at this time when the player is taking a club out of his competitors bag or how does the competitors caddy not see a player (not his) taking a club out of the bag...

I still think the caddy has to know what is going on with his players equipment...

•  

Not sure how this went down this weekend, but when Funk did it before, he pulled a club from Olin Brown's bag and hit it.  He said that they both had the same staff bag and clubs.  You would think that you would know the difference, but those guys may go through so many clubs that they wouldn't know their irons from someone that was playing the same model.  However, I would notice if the grips were different.  Who knows.  Maybe Funk is so focused on the shot, that he overlooks the equipment.