Forums

Greedy Sports Fans

• 2285 points

I just saw an article post up that Rory's winning ball from The Open Championship is for sale right now and does any one else agree that greedy fans like this are killing the way pros look at fans?  I know I personally have no interest in a ball that was a gift to someone else or signed for someone else.  I wouldn't pay anything for that.  Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on fans trying to make a buck off of anything they can get their hands on and if anyone else felt the same as I did?

• 2102 points

I feel the same about special items from the manufacturers ,here and elsewhere, showing up for sale.

•  

I would have no interest in a souvenir like that. If it is given to you ... or you catch a home run ball at Wrigley. To purchase a it would trivalize it to me.

•  

that's the way it is nowadays DB...I went to a golf tournament and I asked a pro to sign a ball I had and he said no but would sign anything else I had...

later I asked why and was told by another player that too many people will just put it on sale just to make a buck...kinda sad times when pros won't sign because of the greedy

• 2285 points

Ya it is sad, I noticed that a few years ago when I last tried to get autographs.  I think the stories of people you meet that make the memorabilia that much more special.  I had heard various things about Robert Garrigus while watching the tour on TV and when I met him at the BMW Championship he was the most polite professional I have ever met.  Everyone that asked for his autograph he looked them in the eye and said "You're welcome!"  It felt like a very personal moment and a cool moment of the tournament, most of the pros seem like they are signing like they have to not that they want to.  I like the ones like Garrigus that seem to realize they are living a dream that millions would love to be in his place.  I agree Mondo, it has become very sad...

• 554 points

A friend of mine played golf with Neil Armstrong before he passed away and Neil was notorious for declining autographs for that reason. So my friend was clever enough to ask Neil sign the score card at the end of the round.

• 1730 points

I'm with you DB, i think it's sad that fans do that.  I was fortunate enough to get 2 autographs from TW a few years ago during the Deutsche Bank in Boston.  He signed my hat and my ticket.   I will forever keep those in house and will never sell them.  Plan on passing those down to my boys.  

I read the story about Rory's ball and was sad to hear that.  When I saw Rory throw the ball into the stands, i knew that wasn't  a good idea.  He should've kept it or given it to the PGA HOF.  

Can't believe someone would pay over 5k for a golf ball...

•  

I have a signed card from Sam Snead from The Old White, It is framed with a picture of us.  Priceless.

•  

With the world of on line internet sales, everything has a price and everyone wants to make a buck. Heck, look at how products from Cameron show up on eBay. They fly off the site in 5 minutes and then are marked up by 50% to the eBay shopper. It's crazy. And as PT Barnum said, there's a sucker born every minute. If people pay...people will sell......

• 4670 points

In this particular case an auction company immediately offered 10 grand (I believe that's the # I saw) for the ball if the owner could verify.  And they'd put it up for auction hoping to make far more.

Overall though, it is all about the quick buck as TH mentions and the internet makes that far too easy (look at the Scotty releases, how many hit eBay within minutes of going up for sale on the Scotty site?).

•  

I have a Annika signed 59 Callaway golf ball and saw one on ebay selling for $500........she gave it to me for walking with her for four days as her security at The Ghinn Tribute Hosted by Annika when it was in Charleston.....have it in a special place on the wall...also have a picture of her signed/personalized to me........I do cherish those......those Scotty headcovers area racket, true collectors cannot get their hands on them......

•  

I think this is sad as well.  Personally, when you have an item autographed it is from a special occasion where you have a personal interaction with the signer.  Regardless if it is a scorecard, a ball, ticket, etc. it was autographed by somebody for you and it is a memento to remember he occasion.  I would never sell something that was given to me because it would have a special meaning for me and that it why it is valuable.  It is sad that the people who want to capitalize on selling something like an autographed ball make it so the pro's don't want to autograph one for their fans.

• 2285 points

ChuckZ
    I have a Annika signed 59 Callaway golf ball and saw one on ebay selling for $500........she gave it to me for walking with her for four days as her security at The Ghinn Tribute Hosted by Annika when it was in Charleston.....have it in a special place on the wall...also have a picture of her signed/personalized to me........I do cherish those......those Scotty headcovers area racket, true collectors cannot get their hands on them......

That's cool Chuck and I plan on volunteering at the Senior US Open coming up at Scioto Country Club in some sort of walking capacity with the players.  Those interactions are really cool and wow can those guys still put a move on the ball.  I went to Greater Hickory Classic at Rock Barn last year in Hickory, NC and they make a tough Jones course look easy.    

•  

Greedy fans only to be equaled or surpassed by the greedy players

•  

Eippert.1
    A friend of mine played golf with Neil Armstrong before he passed away and Neil was notorious for declining autographs for that reason. So my friend was clever enough to ask Neil sign the score card at the end of the round.

My step dad played golf with Bill Russell and did the same thing.