Forums

No Phil or Tiger

•  

FASCINATING READING !!!

As an impartial onlooker  - GO INTERNATIONALS! - it is really interesting to see your thoughts on TW and PM.

Phil looks there abouts and a big week at Firestone (which he loves) or the PGA will see him picked on merit.

From the reports I've read Tiger needs a top 3 at either Firestone or Valhalla to play his way onto the team so given he loves both courses must be a chance and I bet Capt Watson would have a huge sigh of relief if those decicions were not required - so huge couple of weeks for all the contenders.

And after all that the team is going to have to play brilliantly to knock off the Euros over there the way things have panned out the last few years.

MUST ADD THAT A RYDER CUP IS ON MY TO DO LIST SOMETIME IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS ... AND I'M AN INTERNATIONAL

• 3070 points

I agree Crocman , the best thing would be for Phil and Tiger to find some form and make it on points and make this talk a moot point but if not I would have no problem going in with a Phil/Tiger less team .

The Euros have shown no fear of either player at this event anyway.

•  

Its the Ryder Cup...the ratings will be there with or without Phil and Tiger...

If they're not playing well they shouldn't make it...as much as I'm not a fan of his, the best choice between the 2 would be Phil because of his ability to be a real team player...

• 4423 points

I suspect we'll see both of them.  As mentioned the Ryder Cup will get good ratings no matter the participants because it is the Ryder Cup!

• 5241 points

We need another player that has a healthy dose of Charisma to emerge from the pack. We seem to have a bunch of guys with absolutely no flash.

• 28 points

Tiger Woods should be paired with Spieth or Rickie and Phil needs to play with Keegan Bradley to have any chance at being successful this year over the pond

• 3070 points

Keegan and Rickey have charisma , their games need to be better. Rickie seems to have found something under the guidance of Harmon.

• 719 points

TW needs to heal. That was evident this past weekend. His shots were so errant, no way should he make the Ryder Cup team for TV ratings alone.. I think there are plenty of "young lions" (remember that phrase) out there who would do better than either TW or PM. TV ratings won't win us the cup back, but good hard competive golf by young guys who are hungry will. There's a bunch out there who may not win, but are always in the top five or ten finishes at the tournatments. Good steady playing beats spurts and fits.

•  

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens.  Phil had an interesting week this week, struggling to get started but finished strong with a 8 under on Sunday.  From a match play perspective, I believe he would be a good pick given his track record.  We will just have to see how things work out.  As for Tiger, hopefully he will be able to rest and take care of his back.

• 4423 points

Welp with the back failure, I dont think we'll see TW this year.  Here's to hoping he can heal properly and maybe we can see flashes next year of the Tiger that was.

•  

Here's to hoping TW is not a part of the team...he's not  playing well enough and should not be a pick just because he's Tiger...and as for Philly Mick, looks like he'll play his way on without the help of a pick thanks to Mr Johnson and his Johnson (hahahaha)

• 5276 points

etakmit
    Welp with the back failure, I dont think we'll see TW this year.  Here's to hoping he can heal properly and maybe we can see flashes next year of the Tiger that was.

I agree that Tiger is likely done for the year. More than anything, he needs to look very closely at this Foley influenced swing and DITCH IT. The contortions necessary to twist your spine against a fixed lower body in unhealthy! For the life of me, not sure I understand its popularity. Jack Nicklaus won 18 majors with a rhythmic swing that lifted his left heel. Injured only once in his career at age 44 screwing up his left knee ON THE TENNIS COURT according to an article in Golf Magazine online!  Look no further modern pros - your far better forefathers  - Player, Watson, Nicklaus, Trevino, Casper, Hogan, Snead, Jones et al all used ergonomically correct swings. That's why they lasted as long as they did! Even Rory McIiroy has made some changes to his swing and now lefts his left heel in the backswing alleviating pressure on the spine. Yeah Rory!

Go check out DJ Watts musings on Rory's swing:

http://waxgolf.com/2014/08/04/rory-mcilroy-is-floating-his-heel/

NO Ryder Cup for Tiger...Phil? He is in a down cycle at the moment and Watson may just go for additional young gusto...

• 719 points

Loojk like Phil will squeek in as #10 with DJ out.

• 3070 points

Glad  that Phil qualified , it shows his game has come back the last couple weeks . Hopefully he can play at the same level for the next 6 weeks.Team USA will need that level to pull the upset.

• 2772 points

We need to separate emotion from reality.  I have tremendous  appreciation for everything Phil and Tiger have done for golf and admiration for the golfing skills they have shown. By the same time I want to see The Ryder Cup back in the U.S. and that means  having a team comprised of golfers who are the CURRENT best. Phil might be worth a shot but  Tiger's performance does not warrant him as a selection.