Forums

Martin Kaymer playing a different tournament?

• 886 points

If one of the chasers had made a bit of a run on Saturday, we might have had an interesting Sunday.  Looks like its Kaymer's now.  Too bad there wasn't more excitement, but the excitement of the US Open is still great.

•  

A deserving champion.  Has now won two majors and both in the same year....one on mothers day and now on fathers day......lead start to finish in both tournaments.......great golf on a tough course.....only three players under par and the other two were only one under......"tuff enough"....congratulations to Kaymer.......

• 4586 points

Definitely well done for Martin.  Taking an early LARGE lead and then holding it on some really tough conditions.  Now a few majors under his belt and a retooled swing.  Maybe we hear from him more often!

•  

I loved his use of the Texas wedge throughout the tournament.....drove the commentators crazy......"why does he not chip it" and then he would putt it from off the green up close......old school golf.......that's leaving you ego at the door and playing what is needed to win a tournament........

•  

ChuckZ
    I loved his use of the Texas wedge throughout the tournament.....drove the commentators crazy.......

I have to agree that I liked how he did what was necessary go get the ball into scoring position.  This is a great lesson for all of us that you use whatever club you think will get the ball the closest.  They did a little part one day in the coverage about how you could either use a wedge, hybrid or putter for chipping into the greens.  

Glad to see Kaymer hold on through the weekend.  Often times you see people with a large lead playing too conservatively and ending up giving it away.  He played on to a strong finish and deserved the win.

• 5542 points

ChuckZ
    I loved his use of the Texas wedge throughout the tournament.....drove the commentators crazy......"why does he not chip it" and then he would putt it from off the green up close......old school golf.......that's leaving you ego at the door and playing what is needed to win a tournament........

There also seems to be a bit of a cultural bias at work in the wedge versus putter discussion. European players seem more likely to whip out the putter when just short as opposed to the wedge for these short chips. Perhaps that is the links influence where, like Pinehurst, there is little to no rough making this option an easier one to consider using.