Forums

Does World 1 Ranking matter without Tiger in the field?

•  

NCBob
    Tiger is not the best player in the world, he can't even play right now.  If he can come back and start winning again then he will deserve to be the best in the world.  Personally I think we have already seen the best he has.  His dominance is over, no one is afraid of him anymore and since his 3 iron to the head he has not putted with the magic he once had.

Valid point.  

•  

TT

•  

Well put, Tim.

•  

I'm going to say that the world ranking is nothing more than something for the talking heads to grumble about to fill air space. The "best player in the world" can shoot 78 any given day and one of the "worst" golfers on the Tour can fire a 62 at any time. It changes week to week, shot to shot.

•  

I think that few people are that interested in the world ranking and appreciate the golfing prowess of current players while still appreciating the contribution of the golfing legends. It's very fitting that golfing greats like Nicklaus and Player open the masters and without a doubt Tigers influence on the game has been very significant. Will he be teeing up in years to come at Augusta to get the tournament underway? I do hope so.

•  

It's going to change tomorrow morning regardless of what we say or think.......not everyone is going to be happy, but we must learn to agree to disagree and to be ladies and gentlemen about it, respect each others opinion and walk away friends....that's what being a good Ambassador is all about...... :-)

• 4339 points

Be happy?  I don't think any of us are actually going to be upset Chuck :)

The biggest debate here is whether or not the world rankings even matter.  I believe they only matter to players if it has an effect on getting into an even they would like to play in.  Otherwise there are other priorities as mentioned previously.

• 5059 points

I think right now there is and asterisk besides world #1. If Tiger is able to come back and regain his form; regardless of how he plays the asterisk disappears after a period of time.

• 2507 points

i think that AS has earned the ranking -- and I am a big Tiger fan - Tiger may have been able to earn added points if he were playing however he wasn't so its now AS's.  I hope Tiger returns and becomes a competitive factor again.  Not expecting for awhile though.  

• 2507 points

OUTIGER
    TT

great pic and clever response.  

•  

I'm a numbers guy, so personally, I like looking at the world rankings.  Players can say what they want, but they all want to be number one.  And Adam Scott admitted as much earlier this week after becoming number one.

Does it matter without Tiger??  Of course.  It's ridiculous to think it wouldn't.  Injuries are part of life and part of sports.  Think of all the players in all of the sports who were limited by injuries.  Think about the guys who would be hall of famers if not for their bodies breaking down.  It's part of the equation.  Right now Tiger is hurt and out.  So he is no longer the number one player in the world.  You can't diminish what Scott has done over the last few years just because someone else is hurt.

• 1393 points

I guess I understand the world rankings in golf. They matter for Ryder Cup, President's Cup, and I guess to see who keeps their card for the year. But it's not like the world rankings in tennis where each player literally goes head-to-head against each other week in and week out and where the ranking determines who plays against whom.