Forums

Speith attitude

•  

It seems the theme I'm seeing in these responses are "He's 20 and a nice kid so I have no issues."  Or "I did worse than that at 20."  While all of that is true, rightly or wrongly, we are holding him to a higher standard.  He leaped into superstar status very quickly.  And with that comes more expectations.  Both in performance and attitude.  Sure, I did worse at 20, but I also wasn't making millions of dollars and trying to win the Masters.  

•  

I think what he shows right now is that he is a RAW talent.   Not polished or composed.  We'll see if he is another John Daly or if he's a new Tiger Woods.

• 4937 points

Or perhaps another Sergio. They have had very similar starts. Who would have thought that Sergio wouldn't have won a major by now.

•  

I love watching players that look they're having fun.  That's why I golf- it's a freaking blast.  I really liked Titleist Sergio- you know, the one that was jumping around and taking hacks out of tree routes.  Raciest, re-gripping, complaining Sergio is no bueno.

I sure hope Jordan doesn't go down that road.  I forget who said it, may have been Russell Henley, "It's just golf, we're not out here saving lives"

• 4201 points

miniwarmth
    Or perhaps another Sergio. They have had very similar starts. Who would have thought that Sergio wouldn't have won a major by now.

I love this comparison and I certainly hope it doesn't bear out as being true.  Sergio is a GREAT talent but he's also a major whiner and I don't think mentally strong enough.

I hope Spieth as he matures goes in an opposite direction than Sergio.

• 4897 points

This young man is always in the mix.

•  

Speith is a well grounded young guy. I think him playing real well for so long and having an off week was tough. I don't think we can chastise him or blame him for a few gestures of frustration. People get frustrated and act out. Big deal. The news just needs something to talk about and it's a waste of time to focus on this.

I guess if none of us have ever acted out in frustration on the course we can give him grief.  I've done similar things in tournaments... And I'm not playing for my livelihood.

I've done similar missing a sale that costs me money so I can only imagine what it's like when you're talking about what's on the line for these guys.

• 1393 points

Good call. That always disturbs me when I see Tiger swearing on tv. It sets a bad example for kids of all ages.  I didn't really remember it but did you see the video of Billy Horschel on Playing Lessons throwing an adult-sized temper tantrum at the Zurich a few years ago. He talked about it and you could tell he felt like a real *** having done it. I liked what he said, 'i think I've learned from and I'm moving on from it.' #Maturity

• 1393 points

Wow, Sergio? I hope not. Sergio is completely mental.  After all has been said and done, Sergio spent his career complaining about Tiger instead of beating him...or trying to beat him. I think I understand what you mean though about the amount of talent and potential they have/had at the same age; however, I think Jordan is going to be ok.