Forums

Westwood Splits with Foley

•  

Interesting departure.  Lee Westwood announced that he is ending his association with Sean Foley at the ProAm in LA on Wednesday.  He failed to explain his reasoning for this split.  Does anyone think there is a possiblity that others might follow?  Just curious.  ?:-)

• 2723 points

The word is Foley wants him to go with a higher ball flight and Westwood is said to be uncomfortable with that  and does not want a complete swing overhaul. He is either going to Harmon or back to Pete Cowan.

•  

He did give an explanation.  Westwood said Foley's teaching wasn't what he was looking for.  He said he wanted to work on things like swing position and Foley wasn't (willing to?) coaching that way.  So he said he didn't think it was going to work out.

Honestly I'm more surprised by the guys who are with Foley than when someone leaves.  I've read a good bit of Foley's teachings and there are a lot of things he teaches that I just don't agree with.  Honestly, I think he was able to get a big name or two and has been able to ride that wave.

•  

How many coaches in that for Westy? 3 or 4? Seems like the common denominator is him. I like his game but his swing gets a little mechanical at times, if I were his coach I would tell him: "Your good, swing like your good." I hope he gets it together or he is going to miss out on some wins.

•  

Whaql1
    How many coaches in that for Westy? 3 or 4? Seems like the common denominator is him. I like his game but his swing gets a little mechanical at times, if I were his coach I would tell him: "Your good, swing like your good." I hope he gets it together or he is going to miss out on some wins.

I like you analogy of his game.....sounds similar to the advise that our master instructor gave me at our course.....quite thinking and just hit the ball.....has been working lately.....our instructor does not like my way or the highway approach....he likes to work with what is there......he stays busy.....

• 4881 points

Too bad, he didn't realise this a few months ago.  

• 630 points

Too bad Tiger hasn't dumped Foley.

• 5025 points

Shank46
    Too bad Tiger hasn't dumped Foley.

Totally agree! Tiger's swing is unreliable at best....But most of thesee modernswing methodologies are suspect...I will keep beating a drum for the singularly classic swing stylings of Snead, Nicklaus, Watson and others with unbelievablely strong and consistent records of achievement in this game accomplished using enduring swing principles.

And for my money, there is no better intructor in the game who understands the efficient mechanics of the golf swing than DJ Watts. Check out his instructional blog at www.waxgolf.com  - You will also find videos of his swing motion on You Tube. You've never heard of him, but he is getting some very interesting traction in the long drive community and with some PGA professionals..