Forums

Medical exemption

• 2441 points

Interesting article, 10k/month for a medical exemption.  No wonder why we have not seen Anthony Kim in a while.

www.golfdigest.com/.../undercover-pro-fake-injuries

•  

Find it a little hard to believe 3 out 4 fake an injury.  They would be found out pretty quickly.  How often could you get away with this?

•  

I find it interesting that the Tour pays disability.  Guess it's understandable, but 10k a month seems pretty good, unless the recipient bass been making millions per year on Tour.  Of course, if he has and hasn't planned for the down times, he's personally to blame.  Do the players have to wait for any type of period before they are able to claim the disability payment?

•  

Think about how much medical and insurance fraud there is out there these days.  Tough to crack down on that type of thing if the injuries are subjective.  Objective injuries are easy to determine - it's broken or not.  But the subjective ones are very tough - my back is sore, my wrist hurts, etc.  Try and prove that someone else's wrist does not hurt - not easy at all.  

Fraud and embellishment happens all the time.  Why are workers comp premiums, liability coverage, and disability insurance so high?  Because that's the way the system operates.  We can choose to ignore that fraud happens, but it does.  We could stand on our moral values and say that nothing bad ever happens.  When money is involved, it happens.  That is why the monthly payment went down from $20K to $10K.  

3 out of 4 are phony or embellishment.  That is probably about right.  I would imagine that the actual percentage of phony or embellished injuries is actually closer to 95% or higher.  Again, prove that someone else does not have a sore wrist - you simply cannot unless a lot of time and money is put into an investigation and then you have to prove that it is more likely than not that the person is truly embellishing or faking the injury.  It is simply too expensive to go down that road on every claim.  

NCBob - you ask how often could you get away with this?  My answer is all the time.  Until the Tour changes its policies, they will get away with it every time.  On the flip side, $120K a year is a 3rd-5th place finish most weekends.  I would suspect that the player may want to roll the dice every once in a while and test the sore wrist on a course they know well...then back to the injured list...

• 3718 points

Very interesting article.  I'm not surprised.  There are always those that game the system and always will be in our society.  I'd like to think that in the golf world we had a more stand up crowd but that may not be the case when someone sees it as a way to keep their livelihood going.

• 2441 points

NC - I agree I don't buy the 3 out of 4 number but I am sure there are cases where guys  embelish to suit their needs.

Anthony Kim comes to mind because I think he is still on medical leave after injuring his achilles 18 months.

The article makes a good case for having a PGA Tour Dr. to review all injuries, something which is apparently not done at this point.

•  

That is a pretty good salary to work on your game and choose where you will play.  Sound like the accountablility is lousy.  I agree with the article that the PGA needs a Dr that approves the medical exemptions and additionally they should have to report in for physicals by that Dr for updates to the PGA.....in order to play in a tournament they must get a release from that Dr to play.....this would deter fraud somewhat on the tour.......like workman's comp, you have to get a release to go back to work by the company's physician.......with respect to the players and their conditions....... :-)

•  

I didn't realize you had an infinite amount of time to use your medical exemption starts.  I thought once you came back, you only had one season.  The current way seems to make it a lot easier to fake it.

I thought it was interesting to see how many tour pros commented on that article.

• 4203 points

10k per month isn't all that much to guys that have been making a lot more.

• 688 points

I wonder if and/or what the players have to pay into the PGA for their disability and benefits? I

•  

LET ME THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A WHILE,,,,THAT'S ENOUGH TIME.

GOLF IS A GAME OF HONESTY AND INTEGRITY. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT MOVING A BALL 1/8 OF AN INCH IS ABOUT THE SAME AS FAKING AN INJURY SO YOU CAN GET PAID,,,,,,,,,,,YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.

FOLKS THIS GAME IS MUCH TOO IMPORTANT IN THESE DAYS OF GROWING LACK OF MORALS TO GO MESSING WITH IT.

I GUESS THE ONLY PERSON THAT KNOWS IF THEY ARE HURT IS THE PERSON CLAIMING TO BE SO.I HOPE THOSE THAT ARE CHEATING DON'T SLLEP ***.

LET'S ALL HOPE THAT WE DON'T RUIN OUR GAME BY BECOMING CHEATERS.

GOODNESS GRACIOUS,,,,,,,,,,HELP

ENOUGH FROM A GROUCHY OLD MAN.

• 688 points

Hackers Paradise

Anthony Kim - Can He Return?

Obviously we know he can return, the question is will he? Here we have a young man that had elite status and greatness standing right in front of him. He won multiple times in 2008. The following year he set a record for most birdies at the Masters in a single round with 11. He won again in 2010 and then things got interesting.

There were a few minor injuries. News was starting to swirl that AK liked to party a bit (never confirmed or denied). Then vanishing.

In May of 2012, he was expected to miss 6 months after having a forearm injury. He was not playing good golf at the time at all.

In July 2013 he had surgery on his achilles tendon and would miss the next 9+ months..

Maybe sometime in 2014? Thought he'd show by now on med exemption