Forums

Bubba

•  

Well he's gone it appears.  Ping launching gloves and he just tweeted he's moving to Oakley shoes.

I'm sorry but what a joke.  Move from #1 to those others?  Wow.  I guess anyone will do anything for money.

Well I probably would too if I was getting his paychecks! haha  But it is interesting the entrants into the category to challenge FJ.

•  

I saw his tweet yesterday.  Can't say I'm surprised.  It was probably in his contract when he went to Oakley that he would eventually wear their shoe.  I understand guys like Poulter switching because of his relationship with Cobra clubs.  I don't get guys like Bubba and Spieth moving to new shoe companies.  I guess these companies are backing the money truck up in hopes a big name will jump start their shoe business.

I have to admit, I haven't been much of a Bubba fan for a few years now.  His attitude bothered me and I just never bought in to the "Bubba being Bubba."

•  

Yeah, it can now be said BW will be wearing clown shoes. That's actually good, since he also has a clown car.....

This just might be another example of how doing things for money hurts you as opposed to helping you.

•  

Shame, not a fan of Oakley shoes, they look cheap. Wasn't aware of the Ping glove situation but I doubt they will put a dent in the market. Bubba is very marketable its a shame the he is gone but he makes his own choices.

•  

Going from a proven winner, to a wannabe. I didn't even know oakley made shoes. Money talks, so Bubba walks.

• 2883 points

I think Ping has had gloves before although maybe they were just branded for them.  They have shirts pants and other apparel.  Shoe wise it seems that these guys are going more to the sport looking shoe.  ( i did see Hunter Mahan in a recent photo wearing DNA's) Wonder if the shoes were just a delayed implementation when Bubba switched to Oakley clothing,  Was he under contract with FJ till now?  

•  

Oakley makes some nice sunglasses...

•  

He reminds me of Michael Campbell... One Hit Wonder!  Besides, never like him anyway...... Cries like a baby, man the FJ up.. See ya!

• 2333 points

I lost a lot of respect for him when he ripped his caddie last summer for his poor shot.  I'm sorry but even the great ones get pumped and fly a green from time to time and pretty sad what the cry babies put the guy who carries his bag 5 miles in 90 degrees through!!!  

•  

Well, like many others, the "HOLY GRAIL OF MONEY" is their  game. I don't know what has happened to brand loyalty and trust in the best equipment available, but it would seem that we see this in all sports of late, and it is a shame that the pros are getting greedy. The biggest problem is that their endorsements of certain products result in rising prices for the average player. Just look at what happens when one of the big names comes out with a new shoe and the fans go goofy and cause riots and beat each other up just to own a pair.

•  

I don't blame anyone that wants to do better for their families.

If the Fair Market Value of an endorsement for player X the all of the companies that want him to endorse their products have to pay that rate or beat it.

FJ competitors may not be as good as today. But the barrier to entry and the technical know how is getting lower and cheaper everyday.

Product endorsements sell product or no company would do it. Pay the guys or someone else will.

• 3592 points

The players and sponsors know the game and they know the true great manufacturers like Titleist/FJ do not have to go crazy throwing silly amount's of money at players. They make products of the highest quality and the others are not even close and the tour players know it.

Oakley has gotta try and make a splash since its been a year that Rory left for Nike. Bubba has not done much lately on the course in since the Masters so he has gotta grab every $$,  his slide may continue.

• 2883 points

Maybe its not always about the money as this story indicates--

www.golfchannel.com/.../bubba-wear-new-ping-sensor-cool-glove-charity

His wearing and endorsing the new Ping glove has Ping contributing money to Bubba's Foundation based upon each glove sold.  Maybe he isn't such a greedy money grabber after all  

•  

Just left Torrey and I can say without a doubt that Bubiba is the biggest fool on the planet for leaving FJ....... His shoes looked like patent leather baseball cleats.   Hideous, Ugly, Puke Worthy and. No loss for FJ!

•  

At least Zach is smart enough to not change to inferior footwear.