Forums

Jason Dufner inadvertently hits birdie putt, hilarity ensues

•  

During the Franklin Templeton Shootout the Duff was attempting a birdie putt when he seemed to go brain dead over a putt.  Check this out.  Think we all have been there at some point in a round.......

• 4131 points

That looks way to much like my game. He has a nice looking pair of shoes on though.

•  

Since he made no attempt to actually hit the putt, wouldn't this be considered incidental contact and the player be permitted to replace the ball and then take his birdie putt?

•  

That is funny.  I have hit the ball several time while taking a practice stroke.  Brain dead or just Duf being Duf?

• 1123 points

I think it is a good learning tool for young players to be more aware.  I know I have done it a few times, and now seeing Dufner do it shows it can happen to anybody.  

• 5277 points

At least he has the humor to laugh it off and has a partner to back him up with the par.  Would have been an interesting par putt if he really had to make the next putt.  Whenever I do something knuckle headed like that on the course I just laugh at myself to get over it and move on.  

• 1451 points

Thats hilarious!   Cant say I have ever done that, but have zoned out a time or two over a putt.   Give him an A+ on the contact with the baseball swing too!!

•  

pulplvr
    Since he made no attempt to actually hit the putt, wouldn't this be considered incidental contact and the player be permitted to replace the ball and then take his birdie putt?

I believe he addressed the ball........

• 1154 points

Its only funny if you didn't do it..

•  

I looked like his putter slipped on the ground and he bumped the ball. If this was an important event there would have been a ruling but I believe he was right, he was putting for par. I wonder if he practiced the baseball swing? Pretty clutch.

• 688 points

He never seems to get excited, no stomping, no crouching with face in hands, no unsportsmanship conduct. Just the calm and casual Dufner, even when playing fungo.

•  

BEEN THERE DONE THAT!  lol

I get too close on practice swings.  Done it on a few chips too.  Nothing brings you back to reality when you flub one...

•  

pulplvr

I was wondering the same thing.  It looks like he hit the ball while attempting to address it.  Would be interesting to hear an official ruling on that.

•  

Looked to me as if he never actually addressed the ball.  His putter was between him and the ball and it looked as if he just *** as he was preparing to address the ball and the putter hit the ball.  Any rules gurus in the Forum?

•  

ChuckZ
    pulplvrSince he made no attempt to actually hit the putt, wouldn't this be considered incidental contact and the player be permitted to replace the ball and then take his birdie putt?

I believe he addressed the ball........

OOOOOOooooops, I stand corrected........he did not address the ball.....according to the rules of golf he would have had to place his putter either behind or in front of the ball to have addressed the ball, regardless of where he had taken a stance or not......and he did not from what I could see on the video..........this was explained to me by our assistant pro who looked it up in the rules of golf.......he could have replaced the ball and putted for his birdie....when in doubt, call your local golf professional.......