Forums

Stevie Williams in the HOF

•  

I think they can solve this issue with a separate HOF section for "non-players".  This could include teachers, caddies, tour officials, tournament hosts (from the good ole days), broadcasters, etc.  

Just my .02

TT

•  

When I googled "Caddy Hall of Fame", one link was to the following ESPN item which relates well to this thread.  Check it out.  espn.go.com/.../caddies-belong-world-golf-hall-fame

•  

OUTIGER
    I think they can solve this issue with a separate HOF section for "non-players".  This could include teachers, caddies, tour officials, tournament hosts (from the good ole days), broadcasters, etc.  

Just my .02

TT

i could agree with this.  like Freddy said, there are already a number of "non-golfers" in the HOF, so why not a place for caddies?  Ted gave a great list of caddies that deserve to be there.  When talking about Stevie, people forget he was already a top caddy when he started working for Tiger.  He worked with Greg Norman and Raymond Floyd for most of the 80s and 90s.  Saw what you want about Stevie, but for that last 31 years, he has been the caddy for the some of the best players in the world at the time.  Is he the reason?  probably not, but hard to argue his success as a caddy is any less than anyone else.

•  

Well if we are going to caddies we need to include cart girls

•  

pulplvr
    When I googled "Caddy Hall of Fame", one link was to the following ESPN item which relates well to this thread.  Check it out.  espn.go.com/.../caddies-belong-world-golf-hall-fame

A great article and just maybe one day it will happen......again, I support my previous statement...they belong.......

•  

TNT009
    A lot of the coaches were once players and they're directly involved in the action!!   Point proven, I could caddie for TW at Torrey or Arnies place and I wouldn't make a bit of difference!

Yes, you would make a difference - you wouldn't be able t do what Steve Williams, Fluff or many other caddies do for "their man".

•  

I like the idea of a separate section for non players.  Not  a big Stevie fan, yes he was a good caddie, why did he get fired by Tiger, he was too full of himself. Same with Fluff, they were just 2 other characters until Tiger, both are very subdued on their new bags.  Williams had a good thing going and his mouth never closed.

As far as instructors go Harmon and Haney were both very good instructors but until TW they were fairly obscure, now they charge well north of $1,000 for a private lesson.  I believe there are thousands of PGA professionals that are as good and better than that whole Tv personality instructors.

• 3571 points

I think caddies are a big part of the game and should maybe their own special wing or area in the HOF. It will only be a select group only  -  Lowry, Edwards, Williams and maybe Fluff.

If you like him or not gotta admit Stevie Williams is a terrific caddie, there has got to be a reason why 4 great players have used him on their bag.

• 5657 points

While caddies may be an integral part of a golfer's success, in the end, it is the golfer and the golfer only who hits the shots. I just don't see a caddie in the Hall of Fame. Hmmm....Does baseball add managers of pitching coaches to their Hall of Fame? Are there others sports Halls of Fame that bestow that honor upon non-players?

•  

pistolpete
    While caddies may be an integral part of a golfer's success, in the end, it is the golfer and the golfer only who hits the shots. I just don't see a caddie in the Hall of Fame. Hmmm....Does baseball add managers of pitching coaches to their Hall of Fame? Are there others sports Halls of Fame that bestow that honor upon non-players?

yes and yes.  pretty much every sport (including golf) has non-players in their HOFs.  that's my argument, how can you allow a broadcaster or contributor to the sport in the HOF, but not a caddy?

• 3571 points

Almost all HOF have different wings for non players , the baseball HOF has a wing for broadcasters and writers.

Caddies do have a place in the hall but only a very select few IMHO.

•  

Williams downunder with Scott for the Australian summer and the rumour is the he his hanging up the bag at the end of the season and heading into retirement.

He's had a pretty incredible journey and been up close to some of the best the game has ever seen ... and they still call him the richest "sportsman" in New Zealand.

• 1458 points

Pony
    pulplvr makes a great point about Eddie Lowery and offers a number of other deserving caddies.  Anyone know who of these are already in the Caddie HOF (TNT009 indicates there is one) ?

I'm pretty sure the other caddies in the HOF are Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan...

• 12 points

I'm with those suggesting a separate section for the non- golfers. A caddie wing, writer/ broadcaster wing, etc. They are part of the fabric of the game.