Forums

PGA Championship at Royal Melbourne

• 1432 points

Has anyone read Geoff Shackleford's blog post on Royal Melbourne hosting the PGA, as early as 2020, due to the olympics disrupting the schedule.  It could actually move the PGA to February, much like the ATP Tour did back in the late 1980s. This would give australasia a major while continuing to grow the game and truly making increasing golf's global impact.

•  

i didn't read the article, but i know the PGA is considering hosting their championship outside the US.  I like the idea of moving it to Australian because it would be broadcast essentially in prime time for the US.  I wouldn't want to see it leave permanently, but maybe once every 5 years would be nice.  there are a lot of major worthy courses around the world that i would like to see on display.

•  

Not such a bad idea and we have a lot of great players from down under.  Agree with keeping here permanently but maybe on a rotating basis even every fourth year to one of these continents.....Australia, Europe, Asia, Africa......a lot of possibilities with this concept.......then let the countries in those areas bid for the right to have the PGA Tournament as they do in the Olympics....think how much more money the PGA could bring in and how big the purses could be.......I guess the imigination is dangerous.... : )  

• 5130 points

It's a good idea but...it will make it a lot more expensive for PGA Professionals to play.

Chuck, congrats on reaching GOLD status!

• 1432 points

congratulations indeed. chuck, you'll be an ambassador in no time.

miniwarmth, by expensive to play do mean the travel? these guys are sponsored by private jet companies. they right that stuff off. of course that may only be a small portion of the tours.