Forums

Interesting article on long game vs short game

•  

tdogg21
    joshgianoHummm this is an interesting one.  I agree it would be easier to hide a poor short game than a poor long game.  If you're putting yourself into trouble off the tee, or relying on 5 irons into every green you will not score well.  On the flip side, if you 3 putt every green it's all but impossible to make a birdie.  I think putting is without a doubt the most important thing you can do.  If it was all long game, Jamie Sadlowski would be leading the money list.  If you play the course the way it's drawn up, putting is literally half your score.  

I'm not a long hitter by any means, but I get it up and down, I rarely 3 putt, and I'll drop some birds when I hit the green.  My short game always saves my terrible long game.

I agree that Molinari would SMOKE me off the tee and probably from the fairway.  He's right, putting would be 90% of armatures only shot at beating him at golf; however, ask yourself this, would you rather be 30 yards longer off the tee, or 3 yards closer on every approach?

If you lead the field in GIR and Putting it's impossible to lose.  Leading the field in strokes gained driving doesn't equal a big check...

i think they are lumping approach shots and tee shots together.  so i guess the question would be, do you want to be deadly from 10-12 feet from the hole, but never get an approach shot that close or be average from 10 feet but have your approaches that close on almost every hole?

Neither!  That would be terrible.  You'd be like Sisyphus rolling that boulder.  I think you can break the game down a gazillion ways, but lumping anything that isn't a full swing against full swings isn't a good analysis IMO.  When I think long game I think woods and maybe 5 iron and up.  Anything 200/175 yards and out is long game to me.

•  

joshgiano
    tdogg21joshgianoHummm this is an interesting one.  I agree it would be easier to hide a poor short game than a poor long game.  If you're putting yourself into trouble off the tee, or relying on 5 irons into every green you will not score well.  On the flip side, if you 3 putt every green it's all but impossible to make a birdie.  I think putting is without a doubt the most important thing you can do.  If it was all long game, Jamie Sadlowski would be leading the money list.  If you play the course the way it's drawn up, putting is literally half your score.  

I'm not a long hitter by any means, but I get it up and down, I rarely 3 putt, and I'll drop some birds when I hit the green.  My short game always saves my terrible long game.

I agree that Molinari would SMOKE me off the tee and probably from the fairway.  He's right, putting would be 90% of armatures only shot at beating him at golf; however, ask yourself this, would you rather be 30 yards longer off the tee, or 3 yards closer on every approach?

If you lead the field in GIR and Putting it's impossible to lose.  Leading the field in strokes gained driving doesn't equal a big check...

i think they are lumping approach shots and tee shots together.  so i guess the question would be, do you want to be deadly from 10-12 feet from the hole, but never get an approach shot that close or be average from 10 feet but have your approaches that close on almost every hole?

Neither!  That would be terrible.  You'd be like Sisyphus rolling that boulder.  I think you can break the game down a gazillion ways, but lumping anything that isn't a full swing against full swings isn't a good analysis IMO.  When I think long game I think woods and maybe 5 iron and up.  Anything 200/175 yards and out is long game to me.

i would agree with your yardages.  i too consider my long game a 5 or 6 iron and up.  but i think what is confusing people with this article (and this is my opinion.  probably won't know for sure until/if i read the book) i think they are considering any approach shot as part of the long game.  and the short game is only putts and chips or bunker shots from around the green.  so if you are on a par 5 and hit driver, layup with a 5 iron, and then full sw to the green.  they consider all of that long game.  i don't know if i would, but it's an interesting way to look at it.

• 1458 points

short game without a doubt. i love to hit my long irons but there's artistry in the short game.

• 1458 points

you guys should check out this article. maginnes was talking about it last night and it's definitely and interesting read.

www.golfdigest.com/.../myths-facts-photos

• 3302 points

The myth about the need for fairways  is obvious because guys like Tiger ,Phil and Dustin for example have terrible fairway numbers but win every year.

However if you trying to win a major you better be hitting more fairways than your missing,  that is for sure.