Forums

Brandel Chamblee

•  

Chamblee was forced to apologize for his remarks, not only by Golf Channel but also Golf magazine which he contributes articles to.  Political correctness trumps freedom of speech.  Don't like what you say threaten legal action.  So how many of you should BC sue?  haha

•  

TW certainly polarises !!!

Respect everyone's opinion on this but here's my take (and just to put the record straight I am an unabshed TW -the golfer- fan)

-  "F" give me a break ....

-  BC don't know much about him, but it is very easy to sit in the booth and comment on others.

-  If some of the other players had the saturated coverage of TW I'm ABSOLUTELY certain that there would be more rule anomolies identified.

-  Should he know the rules inside out - you would think that as a professional sportsman - yeah! but I've been playing golf for 35 years and there are still are quite a few I'm still not fully comfortable about.

-  Dropping to get the best advantage ... isn't that what dropping is all about?

-  Character flaw / asterisk ... come on ... sure, not the guy you would want your daughter to bring home now, but probaly was before all his personal stuff was discovered ... and nobody ever said that to be a sporting icon you have to have exemplary character.

And the funniest part about all of this is that all the above arguments are based purely on personal opinions anyway.

• 1628 points

Thank you for the logical post golferdrmjr, as for the speculation by BRUCE, it is just that. SPECULATION

You can't judge intent from your point of view on the couch. In my opinion, negativity is not good even if it draws attention. I prefer to focus on the positive and Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer I have ever seen in my lifetime. He may even be the greatest athlete of my lifetime and I have enjoyed the ride!

• 2420 points

I am not a big TW fan  but he knows the camera's are always rolling so I don't think he cheated purposely.  However I cannot see how he doesn't think  his ball oscillated after the video.

Brandell calls it like he see's it which is fine but at times I think he goes after Tiger for affect.

There is a lot of good happening in the sport now to be taking or writing about , time to move on.

• 2420 points

I agree Adam , I only saw Jack later in his career but Tiger is the best I ever saw.

Being the best at something also has it's drawbacks as Tiger has found out, not a fan of the man off the course but certainly respect his on course accomplishments.

•  

Agree with Croc... When I dunk one and hit the drop zone, I'm looking for the best piece of grass available.. Ya think I'm going to purposely drop it into a divot...

•  

THAT'S NOT WHAT TIGER SAID OR DID.  HE WENT BACK FROM HIS ORIGINAL BALL SPOT BECAUSE HE WANTED A LONGER SHOT.  HE SAID HE WANTED AN ADVANTAGE WITH HIS SHOT BUT HE DROPPED TE BALL SUBSTANTIALLY FURTHER BACK THAN HIS ORIGINAL SHOT.  WHEN HE TOOK THE DROP THE RULES SAY TO DROP IT IN THE NEAREST SPOT POSSIBLE..........ETC.  THIS WAS A CLEAR VIOLATION OF THE RULES

•  

I now now it's a violation, but up until his 'event I thought it was a club length away and no closer to the hole.. Ooh well, life goes on.

•  

Everyone knows that Bruce, even Tiger later.  Unfortunately, he mixed up the drop rule he should have used with all the confusion after hitting the flag stick. No one on the telecast caught the mistake either. Only the conspiracy theorists think he dropped incorrectly on purpose to "cheat". People make mistakes everyday without knowing it, even with the best of intentions. I don't know how you can "know" that Tiger was trying to "cheat" without being able to read his mind in this case. The vast majority of people think it was an honest mistake. If someone had brought it to his attention before he had signed his scorecard, as they should have done, he would have taken his two strokes the same as any other person in the same situation would have done.    

• 3284 points

Okay, I'll jump back into this one as well. It's clear that there is confusion on drops for a bunch of rules on where, how far, etc -- seems to help pretty regularly on tour (and club events) and DQ's penalties are usually overlooked by most of us because they aren't Tiger. This year he got his share (Dubai, Players, Masters, BMW).  

Regarding the BMW Championship (Western Open) -- only after seeing in it on slow mo HD was it clear that the ball moved. I just read a quote from Slugger White, the PGA Rules Official that made the ruling, that said that it would have been difficult for Tiger to see that movement from his angle, and at normal speed, of less than 1/8".

It's time that the Tour either embraces the HD, 3rd Party call-in's or rejects them. The big tournaments already keep a rules official close by or in the groups. They have TV on every shot so why not just allow the players to use them instead of relying on human judgement when they are evaluated by higher standards. Seems like most sports have gone to instant reply on the spot for anything controversial, so why should golf be different.  

It would be interesting to see what rules questions, uncertainty, and infractions have on the pace of play and the impact on time of a dedicated per group rules official and video replay.

•  

Not a fan of BC, whole situation was a little dramatic, he likes to be in the middle of "stirring he pot"

•  

cwaybright
    Not a fan of BC, whole situation was a little dramatic, he likes to be in the middle of "stirring he pot"

His nickname should be "Spoon". :-)

•  

Is it really fair to the players when an armchaired golfer can set and watch super slowmotion and watch a ball move that the naked eye can barely pick up.......I think allowing the audience to call in and make calls on the players is a little out of the ordinary....this is supposed to be a gentleman's game......let the committee monitor the players and the players monitor the players.....if it is really obvious there is cheating going by those who are close to the game, then fine those involved and disqualfy them or make them sit out a tournament of two........instant replay might encourage even slower play than is already on the tour........there are over 50 rules that those in the PGA circle are responsible too.....that is a lot to absorb and be responsible too, but we amateurs are required to monitor ourselves as well and turn in irregularities to keep the playing field equal.......I hate the word cheating......all golfers have a responsibility to the playing field.......the media has turned our sports world into a circus.....I'm just saying...... : )

•  

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH CHUCKZ.  THE PGA, LPGA, USGA AND RGA SHOULD NOT TAKE ANY CALLS REGARDING POSSIBLE VIOLATIONS OF RULES SEEN EITHER ON TVOR IN PERSON.  NO OTHER SPORT ALLOWS THIS IND IMO IT IS TOTALLY OUT OF PLACE. IT IS A GENTLEMAN'S GAME AND OUTSIDE INFLUENCES SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.  DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED IN ANY OF THESE OVERSEEING BODIES?

•  

BRUCE
    BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I TOTALLY AGREE WITH CHUCKZ.  THE PGA, LPGA, USGA AND RGA SHOULD NOT TAKE ANY CALLS REGARDING POSSIBLE VIOLATIONS OF RULES SEEN EITHER ON TVOR IN PERSON.  NO OTHER SPORT ALLOWS THIS IND IMO IT IS TOTALLY OUT OF PLACE. IT IS A GENTLEMAN'S GAME AND OUTSIDE INFLUENCES SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED.  DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED IN ANY OF THESE OVERSEEING BODIES?

Bruce - I use to strongly believe exactly what you are saying.  But then I heard Tim Finchem talk about it and tell the other side.  Image the backlash if Tiger hadn't been "corrected" at the Masters and he goes on to win.  But everyone knows took an improper drop to do it.  Intentionally breaking a rule or not, he dropped in a better spot for his shot.  It becomes a very tricky slope.  I don't think anyone should call in, but at the same time, the best golfer should win.  And I don't want to see the controversy if someone wins because they didn't follow the rules (intentional or not).