Forums

Presidents Cup vs Ryder Cup

• 5771 points

What is the difference?

•  

Presidents Cup is players from all over the world, Ryder Cup is just players from United Kingdom.

USA is always just USA team of course.  

There are some other subtle differences but I liken the team makeup as the biggest differences.

•  

Presidents Cup is players from all over the world, Ryder Cup is just players from United Kingdom.

USA is always just USA team of course.  

There are some other subtle differences but I liken the team makeup as the biggest differences.

• 1714 points

Ryder Cup is players from Europe, the Presidents Cup is all International Players.  

•  

As stated Ryder Cup is US v Europe and Presidents Cup is US v World (excluding Europe) with each played every alternate two years.

Ryder Cup officially started in 1927 as US v Great Britain but expanded to US v Europe in 1979.

Presidents Cup started in 1994.

Both have teams of 12.

Ryder Cup is over 3 days - 28 contests (4 fourball / 4 foursomes Friday, 4 fourball / 4 foursomes Saturday, 12 Singles Sunday).

Presidents Cup is over 4 days - 34 contests (6 fourball Thursday, 6 foursomes Friday, 5 fourball / 5 foursomes Saturday, 12 Singles Sunday).

Not sure why the formats are diffent and apparently there have been unsuccessful requests to align them.

• 3302 points

Ryder cup is run by the Euro tour and PGA of America , the Presidents Cup is a PGA Tour creation, they realized there were a lot of great players from all over the world, players from Austrailia, South America,South Africa and Asia who were ineligible for Ryder cup matches. A light went off at PGA Tour head quarters  for a team event and another end of the season  cash cow.

• 1680 points

The format of the events are also different... you can hide players in the Ryder Cup whereas everyone must play in the Presidents Cup. Also the pairings are not a blind draw in the Presidents Cup such as they are in the Ryder Cup.

•  

R,C, the USA get our rear ends handed to us!

•  

Since we are on the topic.....

While the PGA loves having a tournament every year to rake in the money from (Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup), I have often contended that it has diminished our play in the Ryder Cup to play a "team competition" each year as a US player. Think about it, both the Euros and the Internationals play once every other year. The lucky USA guys go every 12 months. Look at our record since 1994 when the Presidents Cup started. We've appreciably declined in victories over the period pre and post Presidents Cup. I agree the overall global competition has gone up immeasurably, but our guys play year after year.

Yeah, I know, boo hoo. Players should be honored to play for the US, and all of them go out and have at it. But having both cups has taken a bit of the luster off of both in my opinion.

What would I do to change it? Not really sure an answer to that is possible yet. But if you really want to stir the pot, you do a biennial event with all 3 squads, so 3 teams in each match. Low player per hole wins. Then for singles you'd need to craft some sort of match play. When you're all done, team with the most points gets a cup.  

•  

@TarHeel -- I like your idea about a combined event.

The season is getting way to long and packed and while I love to see the best players out there, I also want to see them at the mental and physical best.

•  

The only other option besides scrapping the Presidents Cup would be an annual event where the winner out of the two plays the other group the next year.

US plays UK.  Winner plays the Internationals the next year.  

But then you take away the history from the Ryder Cup.

I'm a big fan of the Ryder Cup.  And like Randy said, it seems to be watering down the US desire to play in it.

TT

• 3302 points

I think our decline in the RYDER CUP  can directly tied to the improvement of golf world wide and the depth of the European tour as a whole . That tour is deeper and has a higher level of play than it did 20 years ago.

It's obvious also it means a little more to the Euro's than it appears to mean to the US guys.

•  

Just leave it as it is... The PC primes us for the RC and it's free golf!

•  

tee2green
    I think our decline in the RYDER CUP  can directly tied to the improvement of golf world wide and the depth of the European tour as a whole . That tour is deeper and has a higher level of play than it did 20 years ago.

It's obvious also it means a little more to the Euro's than it appears to mean to the US guys.

Agree with your statement about it appears to mean a little more to the Euro's than to the US guys......you can see that in the excitement of the play.......our aussie friend pointed out that the orginal matches were between the US and Great Britian, and if I recall correctly, the reason they started including all of Europe was because it became so onesided in favor of the US.....should Ryder Cup become the US vs the World and extend the teams to fifteen members?  More food for thought.......only have one cup....there is another cup out there....of course it only has two members from each county and it is called the World Cup......not heavily covered like the President's and Ryder Cup.......

• 47 points

I like the presidents cup because it is more diverse. I like seeing the USA take on everybody