Forums

Interesting Article Regarding the USGA and Fox

• 1680 points

www.geoffshackelford.com/.../must-read-digest-story-the-fox-the-peacock.html

Enjoy the read guys.... I am not a USGA fan after reading this!!!

•  

Very interesting post Adam....thanks....have been a member of the USGA since 1993......will have to think real hard next year....personally I think, The Masters will continue to outdraw the US Open, regardless of what they do, afterall, it is The Masters....Augusta is the mecca of Golf.....cz  : )

•  

Has anyone read this through?? I wonder how much was paid under the table to certain people so that Fox Sports got this in their pocket??. We wait and see, but I personally liked most of the way NBC/GC handled these events.

•  

i sounds like the USGA president was blinded by his desire to beat the Masters.  and then negotiated the exact opposite.  i'll wait to judge Fox's coverage, but i'm not convinced this will be good.  however, at one time fox had never broadcast a football or baseball game and now they do it all the time without more complaints than any of the other networks.

• 3291 points

No other tournament will EVER be as special as the Masters. It's a unique place and a unique event.

Poorly played USGA.............So much for the old   " For the good of the game montra "

•  

Somebody got out bid and now theyY ) ***or their minions) are whinning about it. Wish them well and go about your business and then try and get it back the next time it comes around.

• 5992 points

The original article (linked to in the blog post) is from GolfDigest and is terrific (www.golfdigest.com/.../ron-sirak-fox-and-nbc).  To sum it up though: the money won out.  

The back storey might be more interesting --- who has the real power at the USGA.

• 4565 points

Definitely doesn't shine a great light on the USGA or their leadership.

NBC seems to have taken the high road, so Kudos to them.  In the end we'll just have to wait and see really.  It'll still be another two years before we know!  I hope it's not commercially cluttered but I don't see how it won't be.

• 3291 points

bhollley - I think the point of the article is that this is not a good thing for golf fans - less coverage ,more commercials.

Why should NBC wish FOX well when in their release FOX ripped how NBC  has covered  golf ?

Everyone knows money is usually decides these things but don't say its good for the sport because it's not,

Hopefully the article is wrong .

•  

tee2green  

Blathering announcers are what is bad for golf and NBC has a gaggle of them

Everyone replays the most important shots over and over so the likely hood of you missing anything even remotely important because of a commercial is virtually zero. I could care less what network broadcasts what event. I would just like them to shut up. If this means I listen to a lizard selling really cheap car insurance instead of Johnny Miller than hurray for America and a hearty hip hip hurray for the USGA!

PS   Everyone knows money is usually decides these things but don't say its "good for the sport because it's not” I don't believe I ever used those words. In addition this is America and I can say pretty much whatever Devin lets me.

• 1680 points

I'll never understand why people get their *** bunched up over announcers....

•  

I don't get my *** bunched up I do it to other people. What I don't understand is someone having a "man crush" on sports stars.

• 3291 points

Bholley -   the announcers are not what they are referring to in the article.....it's the golf productions, the way the events are produced for the viewers. That is basically a shot at the people who produced the US open and the Masters.

The USGA took more money ,which is fine but hopefully we will get a better  product as golf fans and viewers.

Fox and USGA both said this deal will be better for golf fans and the sport..... it's in the article - Fox to make a profit will show more commercials which means less golf than NBC did .  To me that is not a good  thing.

The best example of this is the Masters, they could be making a  LOT more money than they do but they choose to have only 6 or 7 minutes of commercials per hour. That's something done for the good of the sport, IMO.

And when it comes to blithering announcers FOX right now has  Terry Bradshaw, Joe Buck, Tim Mccarver, Tony Siragusa and Gus Johnson -  that's a group  they hand picked so I am not hopeful they will do much better than that for golf.

Hopefully Fox will surprise  golf fans and do a great job but ..........

•  

tee2green

The Masters is run by a club which has more money than they know what to do with. If you have ever been you know there is no advertising anywhere except on TV. Other venues do not have Bill Gates money. So in your opinion are they doing it for the good of the sport (probably should say for the good of their egos) or because they don't need the money? Let me help you out the answer is yes but they do it mainly because they have lots of money

What is wrong with TV golf is mainly bad announcers with too much time on their hands running their mouths with nothing to say. Like I said I could care less what network broadcasts what event. FOX could only better the NBC line up. Tony Siragusa would probably be an improvement over Johnny Miller.

NBC and its associates are crying because they did not believe the give us the best and final price applied to them. If they would have been high bidder would this mean they would have to have more commercials?  If NBC would have been won the contract with the FOX amount I doubt if this stupid article would have ever been written.

If you really want to do something for the good of the sport go play and record the Open. Then you can fast forward through the commercials.

• 3291 points

Obviously you missed the point of the article. NBC is whining about the fact that the USGA  basically had their mind made up that they were going to FOX before negotiations kicked off If you like watching golf with more commercials then .....well to each his own. I dint come up with the slogan  for the good of the game the USGA did. I also said I know that money is almost always the deciding factor but as a golf fan I don't have to agree with it

I have been to Augusta , only for practice rounds, and I realize the Masters is a cash cow  but your sadly mistaken if you think the USGA  is an extremely wealthy organization your sadly mistaken

A childhood friend of mine works for the USGA , he has been there almost 30 years and takes part in running the many am events like the Walker cup and he is very aware of the in's and outs of how they are run.

Just the fact that your a fan of Siragusa say's a lot , easy to see we just disagree...... take it easy.......