Forums

NO Disney Classic

• 580 points

I had the privilege to play Disney's Magnolia this past Friday. I was sad to hear they are not having the Disney Classic this year.

The course was emaculate, especially the greens.

Bummer

•  

Yes, I agree.  Here is an announcement from the local paper last year explaining the decision........cz  : (

PGA Tour drops annual Disney tournament from 2013 schedule. Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill March 18-24 will be Orlando's sole PGA event ( December 10, 2012|By Orlando Sentinel Staff )

The PGA Tour has dropped the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Classic hosted annually at Disney World from its 2013 schedule. The event also lost its title sponsor and its future is unclear. “It was a mutual decision between us and the Tour,” said Tony Morreale, the sports public relations manager at Disney World. “Really over the years, our sports business and our golf business has changed a lot so that’s kind of where it came from.”

•  

I wonder what happened...maybe the playoffs got too busy on the schedule? I believe the course is one of the best in the country and not talked about very often...!

•  

they say it was a mutual decision between the PGA Tour and Disney.  they also say sponsorship wasn't the issue, but they lost their title sponsor.  not sure the real reason, but i'm sad to see this tourney go.

•  

I think you will see more tourneys drop out with  the end of the season playoffs and either Rider Cup or President's Cup.  Then the Olympics kick in 2016.  Then the new season starts at the end of the year and silly season events.  You can only fit so many in.   The guys need a break sometime and I think they need to be scheduled in for them.

•  

There are more events for the Tour players than before and with a longer season, the opportunity to make a living is increased (IMHO). It is always sad to see classic Tournaments disappear.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

They lost the title sponsor and nobody else stepped in to take it up.  Magnolia is kept in PGA Tour condition 52 weeks a year.  It is never a disappointment to play.

•  

Bummer - that was a fun tourney to watch.  Always enjoyed playing the courses there at Shades of Green.  For a resort course, they are in great shape!

•  

19hole
    They lost the title sponsor and nobody else stepped in to take it up.  Magnolia is kept in PGA Tour condition 52 weeks a year.  It is never a disappointment to play.

that's what i heard last year, but i just recently read an interview by the group that ran the tournament and they said they decided to end the tourney before the sponsors pulled out.  but that seemed odd to me.  

and i agree, that course is never a disappointment.  it's been a while since i've been there so i don't know if it's still true, but i wasn't disappointed with any of the courses i played there.