Forums

VJ Singh

•  

Vijay Singh was in Melbourne last week for the Australian Masters and I'm guessing for the World Cup as well this week.

There was a rumour flying about that he had reached a settlement with the PGA tour for 10s of millions ... but no real idea whether this is correct.

Must admit I did'nt follow his trials and tribulations very closely and don't really have an appreciation for what happended apart for the imposed suspension but I guess he has to have recourse if he thinks he was treated improperly or unfairly.

• 4617 points

Vijay and his attorneys may have unearthed some messy mess with regard to the Tour drug policy, its administration, and how it handles policy violations.

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/nov/06/pga-tour-vijay-singh-lawsuit-should-not-be-dismiss/

The facts will come out, I hope.If Vijay's attorney can demonstrate that the Tour has exempted violators of its drug policy before it decided to impose a suspension on Singh, they Tour clearly would have some explaining to do..I find it interesting that Tour reps should approach Singh at the Frys tourney and try to get him to sign an amended Tout participation agreement effectively waiving all of Singh's rights to address Tour policy with regard to these issues and others. Did anyone else have to sign this agreement? Was any other Tour pro approached on this issue? Hard to believe the reps are that ham handed and hard to believe that Singh's attorney would make such allegations if he didn't have some sort proof in their veracity. Watch for settlement talks to heat up. But frankly, Vijay would be remiss, in my opinion, in not pressing this as far as he can.

Glad to see Joe Ogilvie, the player rep on the Tour policy direction board speak up for Vijay. Read the last couple of paragraphs of this article:

http://golfweek.com/news/2013/nov/06/pga-tour-vijay-singh-drug-policy-accusations/

And I think Vijay still has one of the best swings in golf! Beautiful tempo and power...

• 2420 points

The guy gas a terrific game and was one of the great players for most of the decade.

What I don't get is he is the one who brought  to the Public eye that he used at the time was considered an illegal substance according to the doping board. The Tour didn't make this public Vijay did himself so I don't understand  how they harmed him or his reputation.

I think one thing that will come from this is that the PGA TOUR will be forced to become more forthcoming  when they hand out fines and suspensions going forward.

•  

I am a fan of Vijays and am sitting back to sit how this plays out and hope it goes in his favor......no one works harder that he does.....

•  

tee2green
    The guy gas a terrific game and was one of the great players for most of the decade.

What I don't get is he is the one who brought  to the Public eye that he used at the time was considered an illegal substance according to the doping board. The Tour didn't make this public Vijay did himself so I don't understand  how they harmed him or his reputation.

I think one thing that will come from this is that the PGA TOUR will be forced to become more forthcoming  when they hand out fines and suspensions going forward.

i don't think this has anything to do with Vijay's "drug use" being public.  He is claiming that others have either tested positive and weren't punished, or weren't tested at all.  And with the way the PGA tour handles things now, that could very well be true.  It's not hard to believe that if Tiger tested positive during his recovery from knee surgery the tour would sweep in under the rug.  But the problem is, no one knows.  That's the problem when you aren't transparent.  

• 4131 points

We already know that the rules aren't applied uniformly for all players. It will be interesting if all of the information is made available for the general public.

• 2420 points

tdogg - his lawsuit's focus is that the the tour is slandered him and damaged his reputation.

The fact is he made public his use of what ,was at the time, considered a PED.

If he did not volunteer that information in the SI article no one would have known he used anything.

The tour has always had transparency issues with things as minor as fines for swearing or on course behavior. I think every thing that goes on in terms of discipline should be public.

But when it comes to drug testing and privacy rights you have be very careful when mentioning names if you do not have proof .Your not going to come forward and mention everyone who passed a test. Some how DJ's name came out as someone who VJ thinks was cut some slack, very touchy issue.

I don't think TW used PEDS but you are right they might not admit it if he did.

• 1146 points

tee2green
    tdogg - his lawsuit's focus is that the the tour is slandered him and damaged his reputation.

The fact is he made public his use of what ,was at the time, considered a PED.

If he did not volunteer that information in the SI article no one would have known he used anything.

The tour has always had transparency issues with things as minor as fines for swearing or on course behavior. I think every thing that goes on in terms of discipline should be public.

But when it comes to drug testing and privacy rights you have be very careful when mentioning names if you do not have proof .Your not going to come forward and mention everyone who passed a test. Some how DJ's name came out as someone who VJ thinks was cut some slack, very touchy issue.

I don't think TW used PEDS but you are right they might not admit it if he did.

TW has always been an advocate for drug testing on the PGA Tour. He's even volunteered to be first in line. I don't really see PEDs being an advantage for tour players...unless it's something to aid in recovery.