Forums

Penalty on TW at Conway Farms

• 5384 points

What do you think about this call?  I watched the replay on the PGA Tour  site:

(

)

That ball barely turned (watch the logo). TW said it "oscillated" which I guess means that there is no penalty. But the rules officials disagreed and assessed him a two-stroke penalty.

• 5544 points

It looks like it dropped about 1/16 of an inch. TW said just oscilated. Game of integrity...the player disagreed with Tournament officials.

Should the players be expected to call a penalty on themselves? Age old question. If the camera wasn't there no penalty. Why should any player have greater scrutiny than another?

• 1362 points

It definitely rotated and sunk down which qualifies as moving from its original position. I can't see it going back to its original position from sinking down into the ground so TW at least should have called it on himself.

•  

1/64 of an inch ... gimme a break ...who measured that!

Saw a couple of replays but if you're standing a couple of feet above the ball its a much different view that from a camera showing slow mo replay at god knows what speed.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt on this one ... but not sure how many else are.

• 519 points

I will give him the benefit of doubt on this one.  I do not agree with the call-in policy, the great thing about golf is player integrity, and I believe the guys on tour have the integrity to call something on themselves.

•  

As most of you know from past posts, I am definitely not a Tiger fan. Some may say I am a Tiger hater...This recent rules infraction is why I do not respect him.  After the ball moved he hesitated to try to remove more objects I think because he knew it moved.  His recent history of taking unfair advantages when he can attests to the fact that in golf, as in his personal life, Tiger will do anything he thinks he can get away with.  eg.  TPC drop, Masters drop, now BMW rules infraction, his infraction on Elin and his child..........

Why does the arguably the best golfer ever do these things.  These types of things never happened with the real greats of the game, Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson, Hogan, Nelson, Trevino et al.

•  

Bruce, I'm with you on this one.....

• 1680 points

Bruce... I couldn't disagree more with your post - pretty lame relating his personal life to the on course issues... that is unless you want to discuss every single tour player that has cheated on his wife in the past

TPC drop - agreed upon by playing partner - your POV is from an off angle camera - moving on

Masters Drop - his error but it wasnt like he didnt get penalized and the ANGC allowed for the penalty to be added to the score and not a DQ- this is a good thing and hopefully leads to a change in rules for the future that helps others -  moving on

It's a slippery slope when it comes to TW but you are only taking into account what you saw on TV in the 2 most recent matters and not factoring in his direct point of view.... I think that isn't right/fair

•  

"Should the players be expected to call a penalty on themselves"?

YES

•  

If the camera wasn't there no penalty

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Do not use this excuse if caught shop lifting

• 3100 points

I don't think he any think on purpose  but after seeing the film it's obvious  it moved. Admit it and move on.

•  

I'm with Bruce......remember:  if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, you where I'm heading......it still makes a noise.....it has happened.....he was assessed two strokes, which he should have been.....and I really think it is time we let this one rest....Tiger is going to be Tiger........cz  : )

•  

ChuckZ
    I'm with Bruce......remember:  if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, you where I'm heading......it still makes a noise.....it has happened.....he was assessed two strokes, which he should have been.....and I really think it is time we let this one rest....Tiger is going to be Tiger........cz  : )

i think the reason this will never rest is because of why he got the penalty.  not a tiger fan, and honestly, he should have been able to see his ball move.  but i don't know if maybe he looked away for a split second when the ball moved.  but the issue i have, the reason he got the penalty is because there was a videographer following just him and recording his every move.  no one else had that.  to me that's unfair.