Forums

just how good are they

•  

kind of away from clothing and FJ subject, i've always wondered how the pros feel they would do on a new course equipped only with their clubs. no caddy, no range finder, just them and the course.

19thole maybe you can help with this and give us an idea.

•  

The top guys in the world are even better than we realize I believe.  I'm a decent player, and the guys I know on the Hooters Tour easily will get me day in and day out.  Their short games and scrambling skills are what set them apart from other good ball strikers.

•  

No clue how good they'd be but rest assured they wouldn't shoot anything like I would. 

I play golf a lot and I'm a fairly good player and I can usually guess my yardage (give or take 10 yards).  Plus, 99% of courses have yardage markers on the course, I hope pros know how to pace it off like the rest of us mortals. 

Remember, they all played public/private golf (without caddies) before making it to the "big time".

I don't think they'd have too tough of a time. 

•  

It is unreal how good some of those guys are. They have such control over the ball.

I find that if I get a good course book and the layout isn't overly tricky (no hidden hazards and such) that I can usually get around a new track OK. With a caddie that knows a course or a good GPS I find I can usually save 2-4 shots the first time I play a course.

When you hear "These guys are good" they really are. I only wish I had that kind of talent!

•  

19hole

It is unreal how good some of those guys are. They have such control over the ball.

I find that if I get a good course book and the layout isn't overly tricky (no hidden hazards and such) that I can usually get around a new track OK. With a caddie that knows a course or a good GPS I find I can usually save 2-4 shots the first time I play a course.

When you hear "These guys are good" they really are. I only wish I had that kind of talent!

so, where do you feel your 2 - 4 shots would be lost, putting,gir or where?

•  

I played high school golf with and against two future PGA Tour players.  Their talent was amazing even at an early age.

•  

I think the lost shots are generally correct placement off the tee and "where to miss" around the greens.

•  

They just don't miss the "sweet" spot on the club and ultimately can hit it where they want.

I can get the ball around the course pretty good, but as much as I try, I don't think I could pick an acorn out of that tree from 100yds away in 10 shots or less and I bet they can!!

•  

the pros abilty to shape their shots is amazing. Watching them scramble and get out of a spot like they do is unbelievable.

•  

Mondo

They just don't miss the "sweet" spot on the club and ultimately can hit it where they want.

I can get the ball around the course pretty good, but as much as I try, I don't think I could pick an acorn out of that tree from 100yds away in 10 shots or less and I bet they can!!

Well, I am sure you have seen the footage of Tiger stinging one into a camera and breaking the lens from the fairway for a commercial... Tiger laughs and says "You told me to hit the camera!". 

Or Phil threading the needle through some trees about the size of a windshield and carrying it to the green 200 yards away.

And there's always those shots they hit lefty (for right handed golfers) that never cease to amaze me.

Talk about precision.

•  

A friend of mine described it to me like this.....

If the difference between a Club Pro and a good club player is like the distance between New York and LA, the difference between that Club Pro and a Tour Pro is the distance from New York to Mars!!!

•  

THEY WOULD ALL BREAK 60 ON THE PAR 72 WHERE I PLAY MOST

•  

Good enough to wax me on my home course if I had the yardage books, GPS and caddie and they had nothing and were playing it for the first time.

Remarkable athletes.

•