Forums

New Tv contract for golf tours

•  

here is an article that explains it.

blog.timesunion.com/.../13034

•  

here is a better more informative article.

www.golfdigest.com/.../pga-sirak-fox-nbc

•  

I believe the contract is only with the USGA. I read that some people thought it was "tacky" that Fox made this announcement  of the eve of a PGA Major.

•  

Interesting... I think Fox's TV picture is grainy when watching football so I hope they can clean that up a bit. Going to be weird at first watching golf on a different channel.

•  

Fox is only going to have USGA events. NOT regular PGA Tour stops.

•  

We will have to wait till the spring to see how it plays out.

• 3070 points

The tour has nothing to do with it, it's the USGA decision to move to FOX. I am sure the PGA of america and the PGA Tour didn't appreciate  the anoucnement coming during  their major championship.

•  

I heard the president of the PGA of America on the radio this morning and he very diplomatically said they were not at all happy with the timing of the announcement.  It'll be interesting if this causes/extends and bad blood between the two organizations.

•  

Whaql1
    Interesting... I think Fox's TV picture is grainy when watching football so I hope they can clean that up a bit. Going to be weird at first watching golf on a different channel.

i've noticed that as well, but i just thought it was me.

• 3070 points

I know that some  bad blood between the two organizations came to the fore front during the whole anchored putter ban discussion/arguement, the PGA was against the ban and that led to some ill will .

• 5142 points

A fews comments from the folks at Fox on their intentions:

Viewers can expect "the Fox attitude, energy, enthusiasm and toughness," Eric Shanks, co-president of the Fox Sports Media Group told The Hollywood Reporter. "We'll work hand in hand with the USGA to tell the stories through technology and interesting on-air personalities."

"Can we do things that maybe haven't been done before," adds Shanks, "things fans can appreciate that bring the sport into their living rooms in a way that is a bit more compelling?"

We haven't spoken to Cleatus' agent or any of the other robots' agents," jokes Shanks, "about their ability to swing a golf club."

blogs.golf.com/.../fox-sports-plans-on-innovating-us-open-broadcasts.html

•  

hmm....those comments don't exactly give me confidence....  does the US Open need more attitude and toughness?

• 3070 points

@miniwarmth.........Thanks for the article . I like the energy and enthusiasm part but I don't get what "toughness" has to do with a US Open golf broadcast....... As long as Terry Bradshaw doesn't start doing golf telecasts we are safe.

•  

Hopefully Fox will do better with golf then they have done with baseball.  I can barely watch the saturday game of the week, especially if it is McCarver, Buck, and the Yankees or Red Sox.  I don't understand why they can't show two games, one in the afternoon and one in the early evening like they do for football.

• 3070 points

I agree the try to do everything regionally and that hurts the true baseball fan who will watch not matter what teams are playing......but alas everything is ratings related.