Forums

Glory's Last Shot

•  

Is anyone else as happy as I am that the PGA Tour has ditched "Glory's Last Shot" as the catch phrase/nickname for the PGA Championship? Tim Finchem is said to have made the decision; sensible, since it comes at the beginning of the FedEx playoffs, not the end.

It always seemed kind of hokey to me (apologies to Bobby Swain), manufactured by an ad agency somewhere. I think the PGA Championship speaks for itself.

•  

Agree GC, always thought this was a terrible catchphrase and will always remember Nance's repeated claim "GLS" over and over again.

Don't think I've heard it for a couple of years though and I remember (weirdly) watching last year at Kiawah thinking " they don't sya that anymore".

•  

i'm with you.  the first time i heard it, i thought it wasn't too bad.  but by the 5,284th time i had heard it in a weekend, i was done.

•  

The first time I saw the phrase I thought somebody had died

• 2756 points

Agree, at first it wasn't all bad, but with the five more tournaments before the calendar turns, and the last four having large impact it really isn't "glory's last shot".

• 2963 points

A little cheesey but not that big a deal...........the PGA is always a great tournament.

•  

tee2green
    A little cheesey but not that big a deal...........the PGA is always a great tournament.

..... and the Wannamaker Trophy has to be the most impressive trophy in golf !

How good would it be to have that sitting around the house.

• 5062 points

Hated it then, hate it now. Am glad it's gone.

•  

The PGA has always felt like an ignored little brother, they used the statement to bolster their tournament. I liked it, but I laughed after Nance would say it for the 200th time that weekend. I always wondered who decided that the Wannamaker trophy had to be 3 feet tall and 30 pounds in weight ? Tiger can't even lift it over his head.

• 5065 points

Glad to see it go.

•  

RANDYWILDMAN
    The PGA has always felt like an ignored little brother, they used the statement to bolster their tournament. I liked it, but I laughed after Nance would say it for the 200th time that weekend. I always wondered who decided that the Wannamaker trophy had to be 3 feet tall and 30 pounds in weight ? Tiger can't even lift it over his head.

Maybe Mr Wannamaker had issues or wanted to make a statement ... whatever ... it's right up there with the most impressive around ... and would be fun walking down the street with it ... although I would probably need to under go TW's weight routine to be able to get very far.

• 2207 points

I've always hated that phrase and I'm glad they ditched it but I don't think the Tour or Finchem had anything to do with it.  I think since the PGA Championship is the PGA of America's event and not the PGA Tour's it would have had to come from them.  Don't think Finchem has any say over it.  His deal is the Player's.

• 819 points

I get the saying, because it is the last major of the year.  I don't really think it needed a catch phrase though.

•  

Think it's about time the PGA made a new ad too.

Don't know about your coverage up there in the US but to hear the PGA ad ... Dennis Haysbert's dulcet tones " When you take the walk" ... in every break, wears extremely thin after a few hours.