Forums

IF YOU THINK MERION WAS TOUGH ...

• 103 points

I am a member at Chamber Bay and I can't wait to see the pros play it.  If the weather is like we had this year it will be great, the course is firm but not crazy like when the US AM was here.  Right now the dunes are cut pretty low as they are trying to get rid of some of the weeds that are growing in them but I expect for the open we will see knee high fescue.  If you thought there was a lot of talk about length at Merion just wait for Chambers.  I am hearing 2 different lengths for the US Open tees, either 7940 or 8120 yards.  It is going to be long but there is a ton of roll so it won't play that long but expect to see long irons and hybrids being hit into very firm greens that you can't spin a ball.  

•  

A US Open without rough ... mmm ... will need to see that before I believe it!

•  

Chambers is a links style. It won't have the penal rough. it will just be really long, like 8000 yards long.

• 5487 points

US Open champion at Pinehurst in 1999: Payne Stewart and the runner up: yep, it was Phil...Maybe, just maybe, he'll still have his phenomenal short game at the ready. Surely the champ next year will have to be spot on is these areas of his and her games...

•  

pistolpete
    US Open champion at Pinehurst in 1999: Payne Stewart and the runner up: yep, it was Phil...Maybe, just maybe, he'll still have his phenomenal short game at the ready. Surely the champ next year will have to be spot on is these areas of his and her games...

For those that recall 1999.....

It was a fairly dry summer in NC, so during the week there was worry that things would burn out. They had the greens rolling like glass right up until the Open. Then as luck would have it, they got some rain. And even with the rain the greens were so fast and greasy.

It's one of those courses that even if you think you know it, comes up and fools you every time.

• 627 points

Fairways will be fast too.  They will cut them short and let them dry out.  Balls will run out into the new native areas.  The margins of the course have been redesigned to let the fairway grass kind of peter out into the wire grass and sand.

If a ball makes it into the waste areas it will be a toss-up as to whether they have a decent lie and shot at the green or are stuck in a clump of wire grass.

It will be important to work the ball to maximize the roll out while keeping the ball out of the sandy margins.

• 1062 points

.....and.....some are predicting Phil the Thrill to win!  There you go...

•  

When PM is in contention it's must watch TV as literally anything can happen.

Felt for him a bit at Merion as he was right up there for so long and it eventually slipped away after a couple of clumsy mistakes.

Sincerely hope he wins a US Open one day.

• 1466 points

Would love the intensity that '99 brought!

•  

Whaql1
    Pinehurst greens will be like trying to land a shot on a parking lot and putt in your bathtub!

LOL - good point Michael. The first time I played #2, I hit a solid 9 iron onto the 7th green. Thinking I was around 10 feet for birdie, I was dismayed when my caddie handed me my wedge instead of my putter. That course can be like trying to hit a shot from the parking onto a galapagos turtle's back.