Forums

Merion is to tricked up

• 611 points

Agree on the greens being very difficult. Don't mind seeing the pros miss 3 and 4 footers.

•  

I honestly don't believe that it was tricked up as some suggest. It was, however, a real test of the Pros and how they adapt to different conditions. Look at TW and his final score. He even admitted that it really tested him and his game. Sure, like others, I like to see all those birdies, but this was a test of skill that we don't see anymore.

The only bad thing about this Open was Johnny Miller and his constant criticism of the players. He" talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk". Miller needs to keep his trap shut unless he is actually playing.

• 4203 points

I respectively disagree. "5-7" or deeper rough is ridiculous. Especially when the USGA recommends that rough be kept at 1.5" for us mere mortals.

• 1466 points

When players are hurting themselves or struggling with injuries because of the rough I find it a little absurd, I think that 4" is plenty espicialy for Bermuda when its wet

• 4647 points

Not certain, but I don't think you'll find Bermuda grass at Merion....

• 4647 points

But Johnny Miller DID actually play...and win the US Open..40 years ago..How is his critique less valid than others? You may not like his analytical style, but he knows a lot more than most about golf generally and the US Open experience in particular. If his style didn't work for NBC, i.e., ratings for golf when he is broadcasting the event were down, the shirts at NBC would cut his loose in a hurry!  

• 1466 points

pistolpete
    Not certain, but I don't think you'll find Bermuda grass at Merion....

Sorry might be wrong there but was watching something where they got the grass to grow straight up so every ball falls to the bottom, nothing propped up and thought I hear Bermuda could be wrong though!

•  

i don't think Merion was tricked out at all.  they challenged the golfers to play well.  if you can hook your drive 10 yards off the fairway and still birdie, that's not a test of golf skill.  the rough should be a punishment and you should have to make a special shot to still birdie from the rough.

•  

MarkWDallasTx
    I respectively disagree. "5-7" or deeper rough is ridiculous. Especially when the USGA recommends that rough be kept at 1.5" for us mere mortals.

that recommendation is purely for speed of play, not to determine the best golfer in the world.

•  

pistolpete
    But Johnny Miller DID actually play...and win the US Open..40 years ago..How is his critique less valid than others? You may not like his analytical style, but he knows a lot more than most about golf generally and the US Open experience in particular. If his style didn't work for NBC, i.e., ratings for golf when he is broadcasting the event were down, the shirts at NBC would cut his loose in a hurry!

Well said Pete.