Forums

Anyone on here play Hilton Head?

•  

This is such a fun tournament to watch. I was wondering if any fellow FJers have teed it up a HH? Are the greens as tiny as they look?

•  

I have played Harbour Town.  The thing that struck me the most was how tight the course played.  Landing areas on the greens were tight.  Very tough course with less ocean views than you would think.  Frankly, I thought it was overpriced compared to some other great tracks at Hilton Head.

• 5025 points

I have not played at Harbor Town, but  across the Calibogue Sound is an island named Daufuski. You might see it in some of the TV shots from 18 green looking back at the fairway = There are always a few pleasure craft in camera view and behind these craft a couple of miles away is Daufuski Island. Te island has three courses - I've played at Melrose, formerly a vacation club - very nice accommodations and a course designed by Jack Nicklaus - lots of fun..Two other courses and communities on the island - Haig Point (private course and, I think, thought to be the best of the three courses on the island, and Bloody Point, another challenging private course.

I've heard that the name of the island came from the local patois of  inhabitants way be when (1800s?) who called the island "The first key" , the first of s string of barrier islands or "keys" that front the South Carolina and Georgia coast line. Melrose is open to the public - You take a ferry to get there.

•  

Yes I have played it. Todd is right on, it is tight. I thought it was a coo experience to play it but again I agree with Todd, it's overpriced. I enjoyed playing Hilton Head more at a fraction of the cost and there are many many more tracks in the area that are fun and more reasonably priced.

•  

Yep, it's tight, expensive and not that much fun to play. Golden Bear is less $ and a more fun track to play.

•  

i had the chance to play it a few years ago.  a friend picked up a vacation in a silent auctions for practically nothing.  unfortunately i was coaching basketball at the time and it was  right in the middle of our playoffs.  we ended up getting bounced early, so then i really regretted not going.

• 3539 points

I've played it a few times and I tend to agree with Todd and Whaql, it's overpriced. Don't get me wrong; it's a great track and fun to play but, for the money there are a lot of great courses that are just as good for less money in the area.

•  

Have not played HH but it is a locale on the list of to plays....Good insight to courses and price consideration to keep in mind.....

• 4180 points

shawks11
    I've played it a few times and I tend to agree with Todd and Whaql, it's overpriced. Don't get me wrong; it's a great track and fun to play but, for the money there are a lot of great courses that are just as good for less money in the area.

Sometimes you just have to play a course to say you did so (it's on my bucket list much like GGG).  Price be ***!

•  

I am headed there in July.  What would be 2 courses that you would strongly suggest playing?  Thanks!

• 3539 points

It's a great golf course and well worth playing but, if the tour event was not there it's probably $100 like Heron Point and the Ocean Course (the other two courses at Sea Pines). My wife's family goes every year to play there and I've been with them 3-4 times and I always have a great time but, I just think $210 is pricey for Harbour Town.  

• 3539 points

If you don't already have accommodations you can get a "Member Experience" at Colleton River Plantation which includes a round of golf on both the Jack Nicklaus and Pete Dye courses (both are great), unlimited play at their Par 3 course, and two nights at one of their cottages. I did have to go through a sales pitch for buying property there but, it wasn't bad. You really can't go wrong with any of the Sea Pines Courses. The Ocean Course and Heron Point are both around $100 and the afternoon rates are less than $75. Harbour Town is worth playing if you into tour courses but, it's $200+ which is twice as expensive as most anywhere else on the island.    

•  

Chris - I would suggest that you look at Palmetto Dunes.  Book early...

• 2712 points

Chris,my son lived in H.H. for a while so I played a few courses there . Hilton Head is a wonderful track,but there are many other courses there that won't disappoint you and are a lot less expensive. I like Palmetto Dunes  and the Sea Pines courses.

If you are playing in July I hope you can tolerate HIGH humidity.

Enjoy it.