Forums

Grand Slam??

• 609 points

I just don't think Scott's putting is sturdy enough to win three more this year.  It seemed to me that the slowing down of the greens after the rains at AN really helped him.  I doubt you will see greens that slow for the next three barring weather at all three.

• 572 points

Obviously, I'm going with the long shot for the Slam. However, to pick one who I think is a favored, then I'll go this route.

I think Webb and Duffs game isn't suited for Merion, Luke seems to be getting back on track, Tiger is GOING to contend, If Phil can go at it at 80%, with his short game, he'll contend.

I think the odds on favored is Snedeker. He hits the ball pretty straight, good short game and putting, yeah he does pretty good with that old FLAT stick.

So, that said, I'm pulling for Adam Scott, but if I had to choose one for a bet, then I'll take Bret.

•  

the grand slam as we know it today, the kentucky der...oops, that's the triple crown.  back to golf!  all in the same calendar year, all four majors.  the masters, the us open, the open and the pga.  never been done and i really don't think i'll ever see it done.  the tiger slam has been the closest ever with him holding all four titles at one time spread over two separate calendar years. 2000 and 2001

when the term grand slam was coined, as we all know for bobby jones when he won the four majors at the time consisted of two pro tournaments (the us open and the open championship) and two amateur tournaments (the us amateur and the amateur championship) in 1930.  

today, a player has to go up against pros in all four tournaments in order to win the GRAND SLAM.  i don't think we will ever see it happen.

nice to dream about though.

•  

Tar Heel
    WAY too soon to start this conversation. While AS is a sentimental pick, I'm going to take the field on this one. Too many quality players for a back 2 back performance.

I'm going to echo Randy on this one.  We're just one major in and while Adam Scott is a great player, there are a LOT of quality players out there.  I just don't see him winning the Grand Slam.  I'll take the field at Merion.

•  

Tar Heel
    WAY too soon to start this conversation. While AS is a sentimental pick, I'm going to take the field on this one. Too many quality players for a back 2 back performance.

I'm going to echo Randy on this one.  We're just one major in and while Adam Scott is a great player, there are a LOT of quality players out there.  I just don't see him winning the Grand Slam.  I'll take the field at Merion.

• 3688 points

Scott's putting is bad - it got slightly better with the broomstick but that won't be an option a few years down the line.  He was able to do just enough at the Master's and it won him the green jacket.  I don't see that happening again especially in a major this year.

I was on the fence about Luke for Merion, but watching him this weekend I think it's his best shot.

I do think Tiger has a major in him this year and I believe he had a good shot at the Master's until "the shot" happened.  He was building momentum and starting to play consistently well.  I could actually see it being Merion with his short game getting better and his putter starting to get hot on occasion for him (as opposed to being fairly cold all of the time as we've seen the last few years).